Need some help deciding if she is pregnant?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by sgodard, Sep 27, 2009.

1. sgodard

sgodard Guest

Sep 27, 2009
    Ok i am sure all have had this question a lot but i have only had my goats for about 5 months. My husband seems to think that my doe is pregs. but i am very reluctant to think so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, going by your introduction in the Welcome thread..... how long has it been since your doe had the little boy? Her udder indicates that he is still nursing or she is making one.

And if you have them all together, the chance that your older boy and her own son, if he hasn't been wethered, is very high that they bred her.
    The mini goats... pygmies, Nigerian Dwarfs as well as a few standard breeds will breed year round, and most mini does will come into heat at around 4-6 weeks after they deliver.

3. sgodard

sgodard Guest

Sep 27, 2009
    She had the kid in april and we had him castrated about 2 months ago.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmm.... the little guys are capable of breeding at 6-8 weeks old, so if she hasn't been with his daddy it is still possible that her son could have bred her. So he was around 3 months old when he was banded right? Looking at her pooch, the anus isn't tucked up...it does suggest she is preggy, I am really not positive on the pooch until they are at least 3 months along. :shrug:
    If she hasn't been with the older buck, and IF her kid bred her before he was banded, she'll be delivering around mid December.

5. sgodard

sgodard Guest

Sep 27, 2009
    oh i really hope the buck got to her not the boy. So we are looking at between mid December and first part of February. Early febuary because about 2 weeks ago she started changing her atitude a little and the buck is no longer actively rutting. I really hope she is preggers.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i cant tell till they are about three months along.
    beth

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is she housed with the buck?

If so, I would separate them as it isn't good for the doe to be stressed by the buck while pregnant, the closer she gets to her due date the more he'll want to try and breed her....he doesn't know the difference between pregnancy hormones and heat hormones.
    Has she weaned her kid yet? If he is still nursing you will need to separate him so that she can produce colostrum for her new kids...she won't be able to do that if she is producing milk for the boy.

8. sgodard

sgodard Guest

Sep 27, 2009
    Thank you Liz, Yes they are all three together. I was wondering if i should seperate them now. I was planning to separate them when she had about 2 more months to go. But i will start on a new inclosure now so that i can seperate now. Thank you for the help.

9. sgodard

sgodard Guest

Sep 27, 2009
    Is there something i can put on her teets so that the boy will quit if he is while they are still together?

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

there are things like bitter apple spray that you can use, as well as teat tape. but i find that kids just urse anyways. A lot od does pull teat tape off too.
    beth

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've tried the tape, bitter apple spray, etc....kids will nurse regardless. The only way to totally wean them is separation from the mom.

12. sgodard

sgodard Guest

Sep 27, 2009
    Thank you liz, That is what i thought. I guess this week end i will work on seperating everyone.