The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need some help with this tough decision I'm having to make. I just bought this doe two days ago and brought her home. Seller thought she was having incontinence from a possible UTI and treated her with antibiotics.

She continued to get worse and would hardly pee at all. She was straining and moaning when trying. So we ran a UA on her today and started her on new antibiotics along with treating for possible urinary calculi.

Well, I asked the seller if she had happened to put a CIDR in her before and maybe forgot about it. She didn't think so but said it was still a possibility. So I gloved up and went searching for one. Found one stuck in her urethra.

It had been there for 2-3 months! This poor doe was screaming as I pulled it out. I felt so bad for her but had to get it out. I'm pretty upset and so is my vet. Mainly over the pain that the poor doe must've been in. But also knowing she now could have permanent damage.

Seller has been great. Offered to pay the vet bill and give a complete refund along with taking the doe back. So, now i have to make the decision on either keeping and trying to breed this doe and maybe ending up with an animal that is going to have lifelong damage to her urinary tract or get a refund and look for another doe. Vet said that if she doesn't go back to peeing like nor.al within the next day or two, she most likely has permanent damage and will most likely have longterm issues because of how long it was stuck in there.

I paid $1,500 for this doe so that would be a big chunk of money to lose. I'm pretty bummed about this because I love this doe. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Here are pictures of her and the nasty CIDR. I'm not even sure what all that stuff on it is.
received_1361011587573710.jpeg
FB_IMG_1601311898565.jpg
20200928_185420.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would take the seller up on their offer and get a full refund. It is great that they’re taking responsibility. Like you said, a $1500 loss would be a big chunk... especially if you knew you could have avoided it.

Very sorry about your doe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,426 Posts
She is a beautiful doe. But, I agree @CountyLineAcres .
The loss would be greater if she becomes a problem doe. She may never breed.
That gunk on that thing is scar tissue the body would have been building round it. Foreign bodies are treated this way in your body.
I am so sorry that she experienced this and tjat you must maje this decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,199 Posts
That is so horrendous. Why would they even sell her with a known urinary issue?!

The seller should provide the transportation as well as as the refund and veterinary reimbursement.

I definitely would not take the risk. Who knows what other mistakes in her care they have made.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
Everyone is on the same book as me too here. But HOW IN THE @#$& do you not remember you put a cidr in?!?!?! And i have not used them but is it that hard to not get it into the right place? ;(. Poor doe! Plus charging that much for a doe you would think they would be way more careful and keep good records. I am so sorry this happened to you and her!

Would they let you keep her, refund the money and pay the vet bill? ;).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,555 Posts
Poor mama!! I have to agree...send her back with a prayer.
 

·
Fair-Haven
Joined
·
4,710 Posts
Too much of a loss for you to take a chance on her, yes I would ask for a refund. It's is nice that the breeder took responsibility and is offering the refund......... and sometimes during the flurry of breeding lots of does, things do happen. I'm sure the breeder is quite upset as well........but do get that refund.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone. I think I will be getting the refund. There's just too much risk that she is permanently damaged.

Now, I believe this was a complete accident and the breeder feels very guilty. I have bought 2 goats from her without issue before this so I'm not holding it against her. She had her teenage daughter place the CIDRs in 15 does that they were going to Lap AI. We are assuming that this doe mustve sucked that CIDR up so that the string was not visible anymore. Even at the time of placement she did not display too much discomfort so they thought it had gone in correctly. They assumed it got yanked out since they did not see it when they went to pull.

I have accidentally placed a CIDR in a urethra once before. It's not that hard to do. Luckily my doe let me know immediately and I was able to pull it instantly. Without her having lasting damage. But it had been in there only 2 minutes versus 3 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
I'm so sorry for that poor doe! She must have been in such pain.
I can understand you returning her and being refunded your money. You will find another beautiful doe without damage. You always seem to find them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
So, I need some help with this tough decision I'm having to make. I just bought this doe two days ago and brought her home. Seller thought she was having incontinence from a possible UTI and treated her with antibiotics.

She continued to get worse and would hardly pee at all. She was straining and moaning when trying. So we ran a UA on her today and started her on new antibiotics along with treating for possible urinary calculi.

Well, I asked the seller if she had happened to put a CIDR in her before and maybe forgot about it. She didn't think so but said it was still a possibility. So I gloved up and went searching for one. Found one stuck in her urethra.

It had been there for 2-3 months! This poor doe was screaming as I pulled it out. I felt so bad for her but had to get it out. I'm pretty upset and so is my vet. Mainly over the pain that the poor doe must've been in. But also knowing she now could have permanent damage.

Seller has been great. Offered to pay the vet bill and give a complete refund along with taking the doe back. So, now i have to make the decision on either keeping and trying to breed this doe and maybe ending up with an animal that is going to have lifelong damage to her urinary tract or get a refund and look for another doe. Vet said that if she doesn't go back to peeing like nor.al within the next day or two, she most likely has permanent damage and will most likely have longterm issues because of how long it was stuck in there.

I paid $1,500 for this doe so that would be a big chunk of money to lose. I'm pretty bummed about this because I love this doe. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Here are pictures of her and the nasty CIDR. I'm not even sure what all that stuff on it is.
View attachment 188863 View attachment 188865 View attachment 188867
I agree with Tanya and the others, it would be great to get your money back, but there is no way I would let that poor doe go back to that horrible negligent farm. They'll most likely sell her again without disclosure and she'll never get the medical help she needs with them. Please keep her, if only to help her heal. I would take her if I could to ensure her health and safety. I'm not looking to breed. That seller is irresponsible and in humane. I hate to think what would happen if you return her.
 

·
Fair-Haven
Joined
·
4,710 Posts
I think we need to be careful to harshly judge this breeder. Unless you've placed CIDR's - sometimes they get pulled out by the doe or other goats in the herd. The breeder offered a full refund, and disclosed she had what she thought was a UTI. the buyer stated that she thought it was an oversight and has had good results before - the breeder is dealing with her fairly. Goats are complicated, and even the best breeders can make mistakes. This is obviously a high dollar doe, so the breeder would not want anything to happen to her to take away from her productivity. Lets just be careful when we are looking at things
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think we need to be careful to harshly judge this breeder. Unless you've placed CIDR's - sometimes they get pulled out by the doe or other goats in the herd. The breeder offered a full refund, and disclosed she had what she thought was a UTI. the buyer stated that she thought it was an oversight and has had good results before - the breeder is dealing with her fairly. Goats are complicated, and even the best breeders can make mistakes. This is obviously a high dollar doe, so the breeder would not want anything to happen to her to take away from her productivity. Lets just be careful when we are looking at things
Yes, I completely agree with this.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top