Need Some Help with a Hard Decision

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ALBoerGoats, Sep 29, 2020.

1. ALBoerGoats

ALBoerGoats Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    So, I need some help with this tough decision I'm having to make. I just bought this doe two days ago and brought her home. Seller thought she was having incontinence from a possible UTI and treated her with antibiotics.

She continued to get worse and would hardly pee at all. She was straining and moaning when trying. So we ran a UA on her today and started her on new antibiotics along with treating for possible urinary calculi.

Well, I asked the seller if she had happened to put a CIDR in her before and maybe forgot about it. She didn't think so but said it was still a possibility. So I gloved up and went searching for one. Found one stuck in her urethra.

It had been there for 2-3 months! This poor doe was screaming as I pulled it out. I felt so bad for her but had to get it out. I'm pretty upset and so is my vet. Mainly over the pain that the poor doe must've been in. But also knowing she now could have permanent damage.

Seller has been great. Offered to pay the vet bill and give a complete refund along with taking the doe back. So, now i have to make the decision on either keeping and trying to breed this doe and maybe ending up with an animal that is going to have lifelong damage to her urinary tract or get a refund and look for another doe. Vet said that if she doesn't go back to peeing like nor.al within the next day or two, she most likely has permanent damage and will most likely have longterm issues because of how long it was stuck in there.

I paid $1,500 for this doe so that would be a big chunk of money to lose. I'm pretty bummed about this because I love this doe. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Here are pictures of her and the nasty CIDR. I'm not even sure what all that stuff on it is.
    received_1361011587573710.jpeg FB_IMG_1601311898565.jpg 20200928_185420.jpg

2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    If I were in your shoes, I would take the seller up on their offer and get a full refund. It is great that they’re taking responsibility. Like you said, a $1500 loss would be a big chunk... especially if you knew you could have avoided it.

Very sorry about your doe!

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

She is a beautiful doe. But, I agree @CountyLineAcres .
    The loss would be greater if she becomes a problem doe. She may never breed.
    That gunk on that thing is scar tissue the body would have been building round it. Foreign bodies are treated this way in your body.
    I am so sorry that she experienced this and tjat you must maje this decision.

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    That is so horrendous. Why would they even sell her with a known urinary issue?!

The seller should provide the transportation as well as as the refund and veterinary reimbursement.

I definitely would not take the risk. Who knows what other mistakes in her care they have made.

5. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I would take her back as well. At least you’re dealing with a seller who is trying to make things right. That’s a bummer all around, poor girl.

6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Everyone is on the same book as me too here. But HOW IN THE @#$& do you not remember you put a cidr in?!?!?! And i have not used them but is it that hard to not get it into the right place? ;(. Poor doe! Plus charging that much for a doe you would think they would be way more careful and keep good records. I am so sorry this happened to you and her!

Would they let you keep her, refund the money and pay the vet bill? ;).

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Poor mama!! I have to agree...send her back with a prayer.

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It’s really tough because knowing she’s going back to a place that forgot about something like that makes we worried about the care she will receive :(

But I don’t know if I’d keep her.

9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Me being me would take the refund and keep her

10. Garnet-the-goat

Garnet-the-goat Member

Sep 2, 2020
    NY
    I wouldn't give her back considering what they did to her. I am so sorry for you and your doe!

11. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Too much of a loss for you to take a chance on her, yes I would ask for a refund. It's is nice that the breeder took responsibility and is offering the refund......... and sometimes during the flurry of breeding lots of does, things do happen. I'm sure the breeder is quite upset as well........but do get that refund.

12. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    Thank you everyone. I think I will be getting the refund. There's just too much risk that she is permanently damaged.

Now, I believe this was a complete accident and the breeder feels very guilty. I have bought 2 goats from her without issue before this so I'm not holding it against her. She had her teenage daughter place the CIDRs in 15 does that they were going to Lap AI. We are assuming that this doe mustve sucked that CIDR up so that the string was not visible anymore. Even at the time of placement she did not display too much discomfort so they thought it had gone in correctly. They assumed it got yanked out since they did not see it when they went to pull.

I have accidentally placed a CIDR in a urethra once before. It's not that hard to do. Luckily my doe let me know immediately and I was able to pull it instantly. Without her having lasting damage. But it had been in there only 2 minutes versus 3 months.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, take her back.

Poor sweet girl. :(

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  14. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    UA results came in. Poor girl. Screenshot_20200929-095138_Yahoo Mail.jpg

NDinKY and Moers kiko boars like this.
  15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I agree, get your money back.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  16. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I'm so sorry for that poor doe! She must have been in such pain.
    I can understand you returning her and being refunded your money. You will find another beautiful doe without damage. You always seem to find them.

MadHouse likes this.
  17. MoreKids2Love

MoreKids2Love New Member

Sep 30, 2020
    California
    I agree with Tanya and the others, it would be great to get your money back, but there is no way I would let that poor doe go back to that horrible negligent farm. They’ll most likely sell her again without disclosure and she’ll never get the medical help she needs with them. Please keep her, if only to help her heal. I would take her if I could to ensure her health and safety. I’m not looking to breed. That seller is irresponsible and in humane. I hate to think what would happen if you return her.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  18. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Me too!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  19. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I think we need to be careful to harshly judge this breeder. Unless you've placed CIDR's - sometimes they get pulled out by the doe or other goats in the herd. The breeder offered a full refund, and disclosed she had what she thought was a UTI. the buyer stated that she thought it was an oversight and has had good results before - the breeder is dealing with her fairly. Goats are complicated, and even the best breeders can make mistakes. This is obviously a high dollar doe, so the breeder would not want anything to happen to her to take away from her productivity. Lets just be careful when we are looking at things

20. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    Yes, I completely agree with this.