Need Some Help with a Hard Decision

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ALBoerGoats, Sep 29, 2020.

1. ALBoerGoats

ALBoerGoats Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Well, I've been trying to find a nice fullblood doe to replace this girl from a breeder I trust. I wasn't able to find a fullblood but I did find two bred percentage does. I think they will fit in nicely here. I actually already own the older doe's daughter and I love her. She is one of my nicest does and did well in the show ring. We also figured out that she was registered wrong. Instead of being 50% she is actually 87.5% lol.

Here's Jaeger the 4 yr old. She is 75%.
    FB_IMG_1601478762347.jpg received_4433974686676401.jpeg received_3345679775524462.jpeg

And Astoria. She is actually Coyote's half sister on the sire side. She was young here.
    FB_IMG_1601478845687.jpg

Both are bred to this buck who has produced multiple grand champion market wethers and breeding does.
    FB_IMG_1601482478313.jpg

And this is Coyote, Jaeger's daughter, that I already own.
    20200919_124640.jpg

2. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    If only you lived near WI we have a nice breeder here near me she has a nice 100% doe confirmed bred to a 100% buck 800 and another for 1,300 I would get them but still a bit out of my price range, the only thing that kinda sucks is that that all her goats are dissbudded so only babies could be shown with abga

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I promise there is no judgement from me on the breeder. Things do happen. Its hard to keep track 110% of the time.

I like the look of Jaeger.

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Nice looking group...... have fun shopping!

AlabamaGirl and MadHouse like this.
  5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I'm sure with your keen eye..level.head..and honesty. You will make the best choice. I do think the previous owner is a stand up owner! I really appreciate them. I also know..you will do your best to all concerned.

6. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    I understand that everyone is worried and a bit angry at the situation and that's understandable. But y'all are making it seem as if she came from an abusive home where she was giving subpar care on a regular basis.. It's a bit mean to speak of the previous owner as if she didn't care and that she would purposely let this happen

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  7. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    Yes, previous owner takes great care of her goats. This was just an unfortunate mistake and oversight on her part. But we all make mistakes!

8. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    Some updated pictures of the new girls. They should be arriving Sunday!
    20201002_134525.jpg 20201002_134554.jpg 20201002_134543.jpg 20201002_133906.jpg 20201002_133923.jpg

9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Love them!!! But especially the blue butts and what that promises!

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Nice Ladies! How exciting!

MadHouse likes this.
  11. bill-n-spgf

bill-n-spgf New Member

Jun 8, 2017
    I think you should take the previous owner up on her offer. CIDR is a time released progesterone if that was needed this doe was probably not receptive to breed in the first place. She probably has reproductive problems and now has urinary problems, maybe indefinitely. $1500 and you didn't notice her behind? Is this an online purchase?

12. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Wow... cidr's are often used for timed breeding and if you had read further in this case they where used to time for ai procedures that have nothing to do with reproduction issues. The buyer and seller knew there was an issue it just happened to not be what they though

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  13. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Wellllll??? Did you get those NEW GIRLS? WHERES THE PICTURES? (pic)Cmon... we gotta see your new girls
    Sooo excited for you!!!(dance)(woot)

AlabamaGirl and MadHouse like this.
  14. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    Using a CIDR does NOT indicate reproductive issues. I use CIDRs on my own does so that I know exact due dates. They are very useful if you are planning on doing AI too which is what this breeder was doing.

If you had read the post then you would know that I WAS aware of her incontinence issue at purchase. As stated she was treated with antibiotics before I picked her up because we believed it was a UTI which is not that uncommon in does. The breeder did not say anything about a possible CIDR until a day after I brought the doe home as she had forgotten since it was placed months ago. Educating yourself before assuming is key.

15. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    The new girls did arrive! And I absolutely love them. Astoria came back into heat yesterday so she went in with Electro for March kids so that is exciting. Jaeger looks to be bred on ultrasound so hoping that sticks!

16. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    It's a bit off topic from your original post, but since you raise boers I thought to ask.. Do you often have worm and foot problems with your boers? Asking because I'd like to raise some in a few years.

17. ALBoerGoats

Dec 26, 2015
    I've gotten my herd to where they are pretty parasite resistant. But I do run fecals just to make sure there isn't an underlying parasite issue. I also stay on top of hoof trimming every 4-6 weeks to avoid issues. Most of mine now can go longer between hoof trims. I typically do not keep an animal that has hoof issues. Unless it is something that can be fixed. The hoof makes the goat so you don't want something that grows wonky.

18. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Oh... I like those girls. So glad you got them. Especially the tri colored face doe.
    She looks like she has some spunk.
    Lol lol .

19. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Totally agree with goatblessings. CIDRs can be very tricky to place, other does pull the string/cidr out, easy mistakes to make. How many human women forget they have a tampon in because it either moved position or the string broke off? Many that I have seen come through the ER.