Need some help with Gangrene mastitis

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by valsey, May 27, 2008.

1. valsey

valsey New Member

May 6, 2008
    I have been documenting the gangrene mastitis in my doe on a blog. Rather than writing out the whole story, if anyone with some experience with this can look at the blog and give me some help, I would sure appreciate it.

Long story short, I'm worried that she has partially ripped the dying teat off - seems too early for it to be sloughing and too raw underneath the dead part...the latest in a series of concerns.

Beware - Nasty pictures there

All help is much appreciated

http://gangrenemastitis.blogspot.com/

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Wow, I am so sorry this all has happened. Thanks so much for documenting it for people to reference in the future.

I have NO experience with this what-so-ever, but I wish you and Andie the best of luck.

And WELCOME to the Goat Spot!!

3. valsey

valsey New Member

May 6, 2008
    Thanks Chelsey

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have NO experience either but I would think that you might want to keep putting Fural or switch to something like Blue Kote to keep that new raw spot between the teats from getting infected.

Thats quite an extensive blog you have there --- good work. You have put a lot of energy into treating your doe and hopefuly no one needs the information but if they do what a good resource.

Has a vet actually SEEN her or are you just talking to them on the phone? I would have a vet out to see if the dead tissue should be removed at this point.

5. valsey

valsey New Member

May 6, 2008
    No - a vet has not seen her. I've spoken with several and they seem to think I'm doing all I can.

One minute I feel I should have a vet out to remove some of the dead tissue, and the next I feel like this is taking exactly the course it should be, and now it's just up to me to keep it super clean and away from anything that could snag it - ie: confinement except for small monitored walks until it's healed.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I don't know exactly what to tell you but i mean it cant' hurt to have a vet come adn confirm that. Gangrene is nothing to mess with and you want to make sure it actually is following the right path.

But I know what you mean about feeling that is doing what it normally woudl do and that is that.

I have 2 kids out here with a mistery blisters and sores that appear on sparatic kids each year at 10 days old, look aweful for 2 weeks heal up and all is well. So to get a vet out to say "I dont know" or "what you are doing is fine" is a waste of money. So I do understand.

7. valsey

valsey New Member

May 6, 2008
    You're right. That is EXACTLY what the vet will say...and I'll be $50 poorer and still with no concrete answers.

Guess you just follow your gut.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hello Valsey,

I am glad to see you here. I have talked to you about this on the other forum.

I have never had to deal with this before (thank you Lord), but I think you have done a really good job with this. Yes it looks bad but it looks like it is coming along fine. I have to say you are doing better then you could ever do.

I have been looking into this since reading about this on the other place. i have found this and thought you might like to know about it, i am sure you have read all there is about this but I thought I would try anyway. http://www.apolonia.net/mastitis.html

I am amazed that she is still alive. She looks like such a sweet goats.

I do have another idea if you would like to send me a email because you will not be able to use PM's here yet. I have another idea. [email protected]