Need some help with weaning

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Whisper, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    My two bucklings are coming up on three months old and I have never weaned a goat before. Mama (their mom) got mastitis and never nursed them but she watches over them like a hawk. They have been bottle fed. The most Mama will let them do is suck for about three seconds then she wants nothing more to do with it. Do they have to be separated? The three of them are out in the field everyday and the babies usually are able to find trouble on their own or with my wether, JD, rarely going to where Mom is. Also how long does it take? I have no idea where to even begin. :shrug:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If they are not nursing and really only bottle feeding, then I would just offer them water fresh all day and lots of hay to eat, unless you have a place you can pen them separate from mom. They are old enough to bred her, so unless you are going to band them. Also even a suck or two will also make it hard for her to totally dry up. Were they able to nurse at all from mom with her Mastitis?

3. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    She wouldn't let them...she gave me an awful hard time when I would milk her out. I can't imagine how painful it was. I'm going to have to separate them and am trying to decide (I'd better hurry up too) which method of castration to use...as of now I am leaning towards a burdizzo. Any ideas for me?

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I band all my boys. It is a personal choice.

If they are three months, then they could very well me weaned and they will be fine. Now remember they can breed her back so you have to be very careful.

5. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks for the help...the boys are now banded and not happy today....no playing. Didn't want to come in last night so they stayed out with everyone else...they don't even want to know their Mama...:). I sure hope I did it right, although there seems only one way to do it. Researched all I could first and it seemed easy. Didn't want their bottle either!!! Guess they're not happy with me at the moment :p .

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep it is easy to do. The only thing you have to watch is to make sure you get both testicles, and you do not get a teat.
    They will not be real active for a day or two. I normally give Arnica Montana to all my boys for two to three day before. It just helps with the pain and the discomfort.

7. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    What is arnica montana??? I've never heard of it and where can I get it?

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

It is a all natural pain reliever. I use it myself also. I get it at like Whole foods or here I get it at Vitamin Cottage. I give it to them for a few days to help with the pain and discomfort of the banding. I also have a dog that has arthritis bad, he gets his daily also.

Here is a link I found that tells about it.

I swear by it. When I start working out I take it to help me NOT be so sore.
    http://www.1-800homeopathy.com/pain/fir ... rnica.html

9. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks a million for the info...will get some to keep on hand.