The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have nigerian dwarf goats. When we trim our goats' hooves, my husband holds onto them and I trim the hooves. I trimmed our 2 boys and 1 girl. We were going to do the rest the next day. It ended up pouring so the others got put off. My husband then hurt his arm so now we are a few weeks behind schedule. I have no one to hold the goats for me so I can trim the hooves.
I would love to use our milking stand but it's pushed up against a wall and I can't get to the other side to trim one of the front hooves. Also some of the goats have horns and can't fit their head through the hole on the milking stand.
How do you trim your goats' hooves? Just need some ideas. Thanks :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Can you tie them up? We use a milking stand but if yours doesn’t let you access the other side I’d bet you can tie them snugly to a post or wall to get them done.

·
Registered
506 Posts
For my does, I use a milking stand but I tie my big buck to the fence and for my little buck I just lay him down on his side and he stays.
I hope you figure something out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I trap the head between my knees for the front hooves. Could you do the off hoof off the stand and then bring them up? That’ll be easier for the ones that fit through it. For the horned ones you could try using your legs, hopefully they won’t stab you in the butt, lol.

·
8,168 Posts
Tie up short to a fence, put a strap around the goat, in from of the back legs. (Snug, not too tight). Then pick up feet and trim. They can't move. Un strap after one side and turn the goat around, re tie up and do the other side. If they are smaller, use your shoulder to hold them in place.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For right now our son holds them up for me and I work fast. Not sure what I'll do when he goes off to college next year. Put him to work when he comes home on break I suppose!

But honestly, our goats don't need to be trimmed very often and when they do it's just to tidy them up a bit. I have cinder blocks for them to climb in and out of their shelter on. I also have a good sized rock pile they like to spend time on. So they get natural hoof wear.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
When I first got my goats, I found they got used to it when they had a yummy treat in front of them. One buckling always panicked and I found this site :
https://backyardgoats.iamcountryside.com/health/goat-hoof-trimming-made-easy/
The part about working your way up from just brushing their feet to lifting them to eventually trimming them. I needed about 3 weeks and a lot of patience. He got over the panic.
Now I lift their feet up every day while they get their individual snack. They are all very much ok with this arrangement, as long as the grub is good. No one is tied up or held.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
We have nigerian dwarf goats. When we trim our goats' hooves, my husband holds onto them and I trim the hooves. I trimmed our 2 boys and 1 girl. We were going to do the rest the next day. It ended up pouring so the others got put off. My husband then hurt his arm so now we are a few weeks behind schedule. I have no one to hold the goats for me so I can trim the hooves.
I would love to use our milking stand but it's pushed up against a wall and I can't get to the other side to trim one of the front hooves. Also some of the goats have horns and can't fit their head through the hole on the milking stand.
How do you trim your goats' hooves? Just need some ideas. Thanks :)
Are their horns to wide for the stand? Or just that they need be put in to go it kinda thing? Can you not turn the stand for access? I can reach over and get the "other side" hooves while the stand is on the wall if needed. Just lean over pull up a foot and go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts