Need some ideas please

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Riverside Fainters, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Riverside Fainters

Riverside Fainters Active Member

Feb 6, 2013
    I have a conning in 3yr old Myotonic Buck that is having skin issues for the 2nd winter in a row. He gets this plaque type condition on his sides and testicles. I have done skin scraping(neg), final cultures(neg) and a biopsy last year (could be allergies or vitamin deficiency). He was fine all summer and started back up in November when we moved the bucks indoors. I have been using multimin on him and also added vitamin A, D, and E to their food. Not sure where to go from here. Not contagious I believe, but his son has 1 patch the other buck has nothing.

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Can you post photos? What else is he getting for minerals?

3. Riverside Fainters

Feb 6, 2013
    He gets mannapro minerals free choice. I can try to get some pictures but it's hard with his thick coat. I am at my wits end though, I feel so bad for him

catharina likes this.
  4. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    You might want to try something other than manna pro, such as sweetlix, wind and rain, or cargill onyx right now.

mariarose and toth boer goats like this.
  5. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    You could also try applying coconut oil or vitamin e gel directly to the area.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. Riverside Fainters

Feb 6, 2013
    Ok. I can purchase some and have it shipped in. Any one you would recommend?

7. Riverside Fainters

Feb 6, 2013
    His coat is thick with under coat. I want to shave him down like last year, but worry about the cold. He was in a calf hut in our barn with dairy cows so it stayed quite warm.. no longer have the cows.

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Coconut oil or vitamin e?

9. Riverside Fainters

Feb 6, 2013
  10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Other things to try:
    chlorhexidine solution
    Nu-stock

Virgin coconut oil helps and has all kinds of properties to fight off all kinds of wound types.
    Nothing worked for one of my does. I removed the scabs and scraped it down to good clean bloody wound, clean well, then I put coconut oil on it and it responded right away and finally after 2 months of trying this and that, it took 1 week for the coconut oil to work. I still put some on that area from time to time as the hair is growing back.

After the 1st initial scab removal ect, I just put the stuff on it even with a scab thereafter. It still healed. At least remove the scabs, to start, then put on any stuff you are going to use on it.

12. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I've never had a problem like the one you describe but my goats' skins sometimes gets dry, flakey, and chapped on the skin by their tail. I use bag balm and it has done wonders.

13. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    My boys get like that from urine scald during rut and when I bring them inside to their stalls for the winter. Sometimes they lay on damp bedding and it scalds the skin.

14. Riverside Fainters

Feb 6, 2013
    Hey everyone, thought I would update. I switched from using ivermec to dectomax and seen some improvement. Cash is now probably only one of a few goat a who sees a dermatologist! He has his first appointment with her on Monday. She did skin scrapings and impression smears of his skin
    Good news is, no mites seen, whether it's because I have been treating them, or he never had any. Kind of good news, he has sever pyoderma and she is working on a steroid/antibiotic regime for him to start. She is hopeful we can get him on the right tract soon. She also mentioned allergy testing him potentially if we cannot find out why he gets the pyoderma in the winter. I will keep you guys updated.

15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope you find solutions and he gets better.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Stressful for sure, hope they figure it out and all gets better soon.

17. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Pam, can I ask, Did you use the Coconut oil as a carrier for something (an essential oil or....?) or was it C oil only?

My husband is having a skin problem and I have virgin coconut oil. I'm very willing to try this and can see no reason not to. It is getting bad, and nothing the VA doctors (wonderful people!) are prescribing is helping.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Kath G. likes this.
  18. mariarose

Could this have a genetic component?

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You sure can ask. :)

Be sure it is "organic coconut oil".
    This is what I used exactly:
    [​IMG]

I had a doe who had wet raised scabby ears, it was spreading and I tried, treating for mites, didn't work, tried, bleach/water, iodine, nu-stock, anti fungal cream, LA200 directly on it. Each thing I tried, 2 x a day and for a good time frame, did nothing.

She was pregnant, so I didn't want to use antibiotics, so, I started searching for something, and found this organic coconut oil, it said it has healing properties, antibacterial and antifungal. It keeps the area free of infection.
    Lauric acid in coconut oil helps speed healing. I tried it, within a week, she was healing, the scabs were not oozing and flattening.
    I used it 2 x a day for a week, then went to 1 x a day thereafter, until healed.
    Didn't remove the scabs at all, they started coming off when healed.
    Coconut oil is thick,when cold or cool.
    What I did was gently push it into the area and from the heat of the doe, it melted quickly.

Whenever I tried something new, I did remove all the scabs down to red bloody good tissue. Wasn't pleasant for the doe or me, hated having to put her through it. :( This went on for 3 months until finally, coconut oil did the trick.

So it may work for your husband too. Worth a shot. ;)

mariarose likes this.
  20. mariarose

I actually have that exact brand and package. So it was not a carrier, just itself. I can do that. Thank you for your quick reply. I so appreciate you.