need some info on raising kids.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lacy_94, Jan 30, 2008.

1. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    Ok my kids "goats" are 2 in about 4 months and the other 2 are about 3 months.
    Im curently trying to wean the oldest kid, They are boers the oldest is a boy and the younger ones are twins boy and girl. since i have bottle fed them since they were babies when should I wean them ?. ok and should i have food in a bowl 24/7 for them "i feed them animax , and alfala pellets". They also get free choice hay. They are in a pen by them selves so I can feed them whatever and dont worry whos eating it.

The oldest buck , since hes 5 months I have backed him off to one small amount of milk a day.

The twins are 3 months old so the are still on milk.

Like I said I have a bowl in there pen that has alot of animax, and alalfa mixed in it . They go and eat allitle then go eat hay, they are all srinking water and eating good. Also I have "backing soda mixed in wiith the grain to prevent bloat".

Please let me know if im doing anything wrong" I wont get mad" :) :thumb:

thanks, Tayler

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Hey Tayler how many bottles are you feeding them a day? They are old enough to wean now. Depending on the amount of bottles you are feeding you can start cutting out a feeding every couple days. They certainly will not be happy with you, but they get over it.

Do they eat hay and grain now?

Provide them plenty of water, hay and a little grain twice a day at feeding time just to keep them happy.

3. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    They eat hay and grain 2 a day . The 3 months old one get 2 bottles a day about 8 ounces,

the older one gets fed once a day 8 ounces.

im not sure how much a 4 month old boer buck should wiegh but mine only weights 30 pounds, ? is this normal for bottle babies?

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    When I have my kids on mom's, I take them right off and I put them in a weaning pen all together.
    Now unless you want any of your does bred, that buck needs to be away form the others, He is more then able to breed them.
    I also leave out free choice hay, and grain. They have grain all the time because they are no longer on mom, I want them to eat any food they will during that time. It is very stressful and i have see babies stop eating just because they are upset. That is why I try to wean them all together, so they have someone to be with.

5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I generally wean my bottle kids anywhere from 3-4 months old. As to your buck being 30 pounds at 4 months, that does seem on the small side to me.

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i start weaning mine at around 3 mos. the one that is 5mos dosen't need any milk now & like said before he is very capable of breeding those does & they are old enough to get pregnant. i usualy start giving mine a bottle of water in place of a bottle of milk & then i cut back to 2 bottles aday then one then just water. it seems to work well for me. if i have alot of milk i will keep them on the bottle a little longer but i am home all day & have the time to do it. you have to set ap a routen that works for you.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    My Boer bucklings will be 60-70 lbs at 4 months. Have you wieghed him? Maybe he's fooling you- I know that sometimes I think they are smaller than it turns out they are.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I really do believe it has a lot to do with the type of goat they are. I do believe the market goats are a lot larger them my Cashmere goats.

9. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    After I posted earler I went on , "fiasco" farm website and found out what age the babies were fertile and then ran outside and separated them. The boy are together but the doe is in a separate pen with my super sweet fat border collie female, this dog is awsome when the babies were little she cleaned theire bum and ear, and nastes. So tthe dog want hurt the doe.

one last thing, im going to wieght the buck later to see the exact weight. so I do need to have food in hay in the pen 24/7 ?

Im trying all I can to grow them bigger.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Lacy, yes they should have hay 24/7. The main reason is goats eat a average of 8 times a day. They need to have the hay available to eat. They need to keep the rumen going. You never want a young goat to get to hungry. When you wean them they do tend to slow down on the feed, so you have to make sure it is there for when they decide to eat.

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Your boys do sound like they could use more weight, try to lift one up..as posted earlier they can pack it pretty well. Some lines grow more than others, some seem like they arent growing then boom they get a growth spurt. They could be late bloomers provided they are getting all they hay they need.
    Another thot, you might want to up the protein content their feed. Mine all get 17.50

12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yes they could be on the light side, but as posted earlier some of these fellows can pack the weight. If you can't pick them up easily they probably weigh more than you think!
    Some lines grow faster than others. Sometimes around 3or 4 mos they seem to slow down then suddenly theres a growth spurt.
    So long as they are getting plenty of hay and don't forget your worming program.
    Another thing you might want to consider is upping the protein content of the grain? Mine get 17.50.

ps Sorry I posted twice, didn't know 1st post went thru cause it seemed to take forever & I thought computer froze up

13. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    I weighed the oldest buck and he's 40 pounds in the last few days i have noticed him growing. the 3 month old ons are about 25 pounds each, i mind you that these babies lost there mom right after birth to " i forgot the name its common something with the udders, " but they took forever to get up and start moving. I dont htink they got enough colostrum but I know they are on the small size.

oh and what goat food has more rotien , ? we normally get purina or dumor from tsc ?

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The lack of colostrum will stunt them for a little while or for life. But time will really show that.

If you arent' sure which has more protein check the lables before buying when at TSC. :D Or call them and ask.

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Lacy, since you get your feed at TSC, they carry Blue Seal Caprine Challenger at 18% protein and Blue Seal also makes a specific feed for "meat goats". Check them out and if you decide to make a change in their feed do it gradually to prevent gut upsets.