Need some well wishes .....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Jul 14, 2010.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Our buck kid we recently got has come down something and he's not feeling good at all. We could really use some well wishes.

Poor guy was off monday night, and by tuesday morning and was quite sick so I took him into the vet. She tubed him some fluids, ran blood work and sent me home with instructions to give Excenel, B-complex and Banamine for his temp. Nothing seemed to really help him and I could tell he was dehydrated so we started SQ fluids.

This morning he was worse. Had the runs like water, wouldn't drink or eat and was very lethargic. So back to the vet we went for and IV and a fecal. Fecal showed Cocci despite me treating him for it Monday night with Baycox. So he's on SMZ tabs as well. He didn't flinch at all for the IV. It was a huge 4 inch long needle!! I would have! Then the vet stitched it in and he didn't move a muscle for that either! He could tell the guy was feeling pretty bad.

So now we are back home, giving fluids and doing everything we can for him. :pray:

[​IMG]

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh poor thing. I will send good thought and prayers for a quick recovery. Poor guy.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Poor baby... :( ....I will pray... that he gets better soon.... :hug: :pray:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Aww, poor little boy looks so miserable :hug: I hope he recovers Ashley...and that whatever it is that is making him sick is not contagious :hug:

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Awwww...poor guy. :( I sure do hope he pulls through for you!

6. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Oh My! I hope he feels better!

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :pray: :hug: sent to him and you. He sure is cute. What's his name and I'll put him on the prayer list.

Gina

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwww he looks so down... poor dude.. well wishes sents

9. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How is the sweet baby today? :pray: :hug:

11. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Fever, pre-treated for coccidia, not responding to sulfa or SQ antibiotics...sounds to me like BACTERIAL ENTERITIS!

Giving SQ Excenel isn't going to do much for that, nor is giving sulfamethoxazole in the gut..
    This boy needs a real antibiotic in his gut, and he needs it quickly. I know you hear a lot about how NOT to go running for Scour Halt when they scour, but in this case I think it's absolutely warranted.

Scour Halt is just Spectinomycin -- a broad spectrum antibiotic -- and it's effective against e.coli and several other pathgenic bacteria.. I'd hit him with that RIGHT NOW. Or, if you don't like Scour Halt, try some oral neomycin sulfate.

I had one die under similar circumstances, despite treatment with SQ ceftiofur (naxcel/excenel) + banamine and a sulfa in the gut. I thought the sulfa (dimethox) would be broad enough to tackle whatever -- it wasn't. Not even close. The vet *tech* told me she found oocysts of coccidia in the fecal and boldly stated "It's coccidiosis." The actual *vet* SHUT HER DOWN in a hurry saying that almost any goat is going to have at least some oocysts, and that oocysts aren't necessarily of any diagnostic value.. We determined that it must be bacterial enteritis.. He gave me naxcel injectable and banamine, which I gave.

She still died.

When another one came down with it, she got Excenel injectable, banamine, pepto, electrolytes, AND SCOUR HALT. She lived. Then another got it...same regimen, and she lived. We had a total of 5 come down with it, and once we incorporated Scour Halt, we didn't lose a single other goat.

My opinion...SCOUR HALT...OR NEOMYCIN...REALLY QUICKLY.

I just hope I'm not too late to this thread.. :(

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Excenel is a pretty broad antibiotic and she is following her vets advise who she trusts -- lets be a little easy here and now jump to conclusions on what is actually the problem.

13. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Didn't mean to sound harsh or anything like that...just hits close to home for me, I guess, given how similar the situation seems to be to the one I went through.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    we appreciate everyone's input...sometimes it does save lives..... no worries..... :wink: :thumb:

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, your post did come across as a bit iffy, but I understand where you are coming from because I have felt the same before .

BTW his name is Johnny Depp. So far today he's gotten about 400cc of fluids. In total in the past 24 hours he's gotten 1000ml :shocked: per vets advice. You would think he would have to pee like crazy... but nope, only two little pee spots in his stall and TONS of runny poo. *Sigh*

He does feel up to eating today though and went to town on some fresh hay I gave him. Also took a small sip of water. So there is some improvement at least in his appetite.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A little improvement...... is better than none.....appetite... is an important thing... :wink: :hug: :pray:

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ashley, I pray that he continues to show improvement :hug:

As long as he's getting the fluids SQ I don't think dehydration will be an issue and maybe the hay he is eating will be enough to firm up his poop....would you be willing to try giving him some dry oatmeal? I know that the illness he is experiencing is nothing I've had to deal with but in my experience, if they are willing to eat, oatmeal really binds the poop....and saves them the pain of having an irritated bum :wink:

Prayers for his continued recovery....He is a handsome "herdsire to be" :hug:

18. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    I really didn't mean for it to come across that way. :)

Glad he seems to be improving. Appetite's not something my doe ever got back before she passed, so if it's the same type of thing, he's looking WAY up right now.

:D

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The fluids are IV. He really seems to perk up after each bolus I give him. Right now I'm offering just hay and beet pulp to try and firm things up. The only dry oatmeal I have is maple and brown sugar. lol I don't think that's going to help his runs. Maybe if I sift the sugar out of it.

20. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    If the SMZ doesn't kick it pretty soon, or if he starts getting worse, you might consider asking for SMZ-TMP instead of straight SMZ. If it's bacterial and not coccidia, and the SMZ won't quite whoop whatever bacteria it is, the addition of trimethoprim should help. And that way, you're not really taking him off SMZ -- you're just adding a little something extra to it. :)

I really, really hope he continues to improve. :)