Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by QotL, Oct 30, 2008.

1. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    Ok, I have a situation, so I'm hoping you guys might have some ideas for me.

I accidently became the owner of a buckling. He's very sweet and calm, but his job here is done. He cannot stay here as he is.

I am in a search for someone to wether him for me. I have contacted local vets, but the amount they want (and they said they have to do it surgically) will not be feasible. I currently have emails out to a local Ag College, and to a goat farm nearby. Hoping to get some answers or suggestions from them.

I would rehome him, but the local publications right now are full of purebred bucks for $50 each. His prev. owner tried to go that route all summer, with no luck, and I believe, also, that this is a lost cause.

I called the butcher (worst case scenario) and they are willing to take him, but not until February. I can't house him there that long.

I did have one other offer for him.. but again, he'll be someone's dinner. It's really a shame, he is SUCH a sweetheart.

Can you guys think of any other places I could try for inexpensive wethering of a 9mo boy? I took a good look at his nether regions last night.. no way I can band him at this point, even if I knew what I was doing.. which I don't.

Here's a picture of him, in case anyone wants a very sweet, calm, mixed breed (but from good milking lines!) buckling. Mom is registered LaMancha, dad is Sanaan/Alpine:
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Meghan

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Meghan,

If you can find a cattle rancher with a cattle bander, you can definately do that for him. I was going to go that route on my 2 bucks that I wanted wethered that are over a year old - but I couldn't find anyone with one so I am going surgical (but I am lucky I have a friend who is a vet so she is doing it for cost of materials).

Hope that you are able to find him a home - but unfortunately sometimes freezer camp is the only alternative (although you usually want to wether about 6 weeks or more before hand).

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Meghan, there are two inexpensive ways to castrate him at this stage - find a local breeder - many castrate calves surgically themselves (which is probably the route I would go) or if they have a large bander (various names, TriBander, XBander) anyway they are larger than the normal banders with the green rings you will be able to do him that way too. Normally with a 9 m.o you could eat the meat no problem, but since he has been working there will be some taste to it. Some people like it, mosy people dont.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    If you get him wethered will you keep him as a pet? If not..."freezer camp" is not the worst thing that could happen to him IMO. Sadder to see him go to a "sale barn" IMO. But, I have friends (Puerto Rican) that actually prefer uncastrated bucks. Also, some folks from "middle eastern" origins prefer intact males. Good luck with what ever you decide.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would opt to send him to the freezer. I would much rather see one of my baby boys no matter how sweet they are be on someones table then sell them to a pet home where they are mistreated (not always intentially) by someoen who wanted a brush eater or a pet that doesnt know how to take care of a goat.
    beth

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would opt to send him to the freezer. I would much rather see one of my baby boys no matter how sweet they are be on someones table then sell them to a pet home where they are mistreated (not always intentially) by someoen who wanted a brush eater or a pet that doesnt know how to take care of a goat.
    beth

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    You could use the burdizzo (sp?) - a lot of goat breeders use that method for castration versus the banding method. I have no experience with this but was told that it can be done on mature animals.