need the letter for 2008

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bigoakfarm, Jan 9, 2008.

1. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hi,
    Is the tattoo for 2008 going to be "Y"? I know there are a few letters skipped and I don't see anything on the ADGA site yet so I'm just wanting to double-check. I need to tattoo a couple '08 kids in the morning.

Thanks!
    Kristen

2. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Yep, the tattoo letter for 2008 is Y. :)

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i think the only letters they don't use are o & q but not sure.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    q, u, and it seems like 3 other ones they don't use.

5. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    They don't use G, I, O, Q, and U

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah I got my NDGA Dwarf Digest and calendar and it has "Y" in it too.

7. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    the tattoo here will be 08 and A for the first kid B for the second and so on. this way i always know which year the doe is born, no need to get the books out to check which letter was for what year :wink: i don't use G I O Q U

8. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Susanne, if you want to register your goats usually the registry wants you to use the assigned letter for that year. 2007 (for ADGA) was X, 2008 it is Y. I believe that you have registered Nubians, right? If you are planning on registering the kids you should definitely see which letter your registry uses.

9. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    For herds that do not register though, your system is perfect! I like it. Except, if you have too many kids.. you run out of letters.

10. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    I think all the registries say this is the "suggested" letter for this year. I don't think you have to use their letter but it makes it easier on me to use the letter they choose for the year.

We used the same system you're describing though when we raised rabbits for Pel-Freez (sp?). We only tattooed the ones we registered and kept for breeding stock and it was an easy system. I can see why you like it!

Kristen

11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Your right, those are only suggested letters. The two goats we got last year have 702 and 703 in their ears. 7 for 2007 and 02 and 03 for the order they are born in.

12. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    my goats/kids are all adga registered with this numbering system. adga only suggested but does not make it mandatory to use their system. the tattoo has to be the same as on the registration papers :wink:

13. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Oh really? Well, I guess I kinda knew that.. but I thought that they sometimes refused applications that were not tattooed with that tattoo or something. Wonder where I got that?? LOL! Good to know :).