The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night she was way down on milk, probably 2 cups less than normal. Her temp was 105. She didn't finish her grain at milking time. I can tell she will be down on milk this morning too(udder not full) she did finish her grain, she is pooping and peeing normal. I had some people calcium pills and I gave her one last night and she chewed it up. Also gave her some vit. C...so any opinions? I have probios, fortified vit b complex, nutridrench And la200 on hand. What should I do?

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so a little update. She was still down 2-3 cups of milk this morning. She ate all her grain at am milking, her temp is now 102.9. I gave her probios which she hated lol. Her butt looks dirty. I saw her poop from last night. It wasnt diarhhea..it was "her' normal, which has been clumpy for a while now, even after worming...I'm going to try to find a vet to do a fecal I guess. Could she have maybe eaten somethibg out to pasture? Buttercup is the only thing she may have possibly eaten accidentally. Would that drop milk production that fast? I also weaned her daughter about a week ago.

·
Super Moderator
59,787 Posts
I would definitely give her some B Complex as well. Keep up on the Probios for a few days. I would definitely find a vet to do a fecal. What did you worm her with and how much? How much does she weigh?

At this point I would not do any antibiotics since her temp is back to normal.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
get a fecal done, and ask the vet to check for cocci. I just went through this with my doe who freshened on Apr 19. Someone also told me clumpy poop could be hormones after kidding, but the temp is worrying.

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wormed her with ivermectin for horses. She weighs about 70# I used 250# worth. I placed an order a while back but wasn't able to get sulmet(they were out!!) So what is another good cocci treatment/preventative? I have a 3 month old kid(her daughter) and 3 one month old kids. Could/should I treat everyone? I also have a 3 amd 5 yr old nubian does

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'm using herbals b/c sulmet isn't available here, and I didn't want to use Baycox as i'm using the milk (withdrawal time is unsure).

I found this herbal cocci remedy on this forum in the "herbal remedies" section:

1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp slippery elm powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup boiling water - pour over the spices and steep for 20 min

the post said to give 6-10 cc twice a day for 5-7 days for 2 month old kid, so for my doe I gave 10cc's twice a day and it's been 5 days now. her poop is finally looking more normal.

still slight clumps, but not too bad, and def not wormy looking anymore. mine got fecals done thursday, and vet found nothing.

you can also do Molly's herbals and Fir Meadow has herbal cocci meds.

how is she today? temp and poop back to normal? or still clumpy?

btw - my doe with issues is also named Buttercup!

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting! I have everything but the slippery elm. Where does one find that? Her poop has been clumpy for a few months. Looks normal otherwise..its weird. I thought maybe because she is grazing now but its actually been a bit longer than grass has been growing well. I had hoped the worming would fix it. But it didn't. I like that herbal version. I hate putting chemicals in my girls. She seems to be herself. Maybe a bit quieter than normal. I'll check her temp again tonight at milking time. She is my hardiest goat. I need to get this figured out for my peace of mind

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I got mine from the health food store. do you have one around? maybe call before heading out in case they don't have it.

from what I've read, cinnamon and cloves are cocci fighters. Raw garlic would help too, and help boost immune system. I give my girls a big clove of it a day.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
and I hear you...I hate seeing clumpy poo in my girl, but everything else seems normal and vet says he can't see anything in the poop, so I just have to chalk it up to hormones from kidding. so hard to see animals not looking/acting/functioning normally.....at least children can point and say what hurts.

it's cost prohibitive for me to order pre-made herbals, so I make my own. seems to work great. my dry doe hasn't had to be chemically wormed since February!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts