Need tips from do-it-yourself blood draw people

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by bheila, Apr 29, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I've been wanting to do my own blood draw for CAE/CL for a few weeks but I just haven't bought the supplies yet. I know where to draw the blood at. But I'm wondering what's the easiest way to hold the goat? I was thinking it would be easiest to put them in the stanchion and have someone hold their head up? I only want to have to do it once :roll: My friend wants me to do her goats too but I'm not willing to practice on hers. I'd rather torture mine first. Any advice or tips you guys can give that will make it easier will sure be appreciated.

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I had my husband hold the goats and hold their heads up while I did the dirty work :slapfloor:

I dont know how easy it would be in a stanchion- seems like it may be harder to get to their necks that way.

Do you have someone to help you? Now ours are nigerians, so they are a bit easier to manage than some other goats would be.

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I have a Pygmy and some Pygmy/Nigerian crosses. When I bolused them with copper this month I was able to get their heads straight up and held them that way inbetween my boobs :oops: I figure my husband can hold their heads up the same way but standing behind them. I'd duct tape their heads if I could :greengrin:

4. ProctorHillFarm

HAHA

We had them up on the stanchion for a better height level and then he just held their heads up nice and high, only a couple of them jumped around and ended up getting poked a few extra times :doh:

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I'm terrified of having my own blood drawn that I almost pass out every time. I've given 1000's of shots to animals and to myself when I was pregnant. I sure hope it goes smooth :pray:

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yes, It's definitely easier to have someone holding them. I have my husband straddle them and hold their heads up...works pretty well.

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Any tips on trying to find a good vein to draw from?

I ended up stabbing Blanche five times with no blood, then I gave up..

:hair:

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I just did this for the first time, and it was a nightmare!!

Finally, the best results came from hubby standing on the milkstand and holding her head back as he straddled her.

I then shaved her neck, trust me, shave the neck, especially for your first time, or you'll never find it!

I then poked and pressed around until I found her pulse, then pressed on the vein until it was more prominent. I poked it a couple more times to see if it was "bouncy" then gentle inserted the needle and drew back to get the blood.

And this was the ONE successful time out of a heck of a lot of failures! Poor poor Snowflake!

This was slightly helpful: http://goatconnection.com/articles/publ ... _151.shtml

9. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    In the neck for sure--on the left side there is a very large vein (the jugular, I think). It's hard to see if the neck is not shaved, like Epona said. But, yeah, you just press on the vein at the base of the neck with one hand and it will kind of pop out. Then you use the other hand to insert the needle and pull the plunger back...make sure that when you insert it you have it angled almost strait up into the vein or you might go through both sides of it...can't get any blood that way.

10. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    Where do ya'll get your tubes? I am going to have to start doing it myself because the vets prices have gone through the roof.
    I need the tubes that have the stuff in them to keep the blood from clotting.

11. ProctorHillFarm

I ordered my tubes from pbs animal supply

12. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    You can order them from PBS like ProctorHillFarm stated, but if you don't need a box of 100 you can buy them from a vet.

13. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I like to take bloood or give them shots with someone holding them so they can't move much on me. Normally I do the holding but for a kid I've given shots and taken blood. :thumb:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what is the link or phone number for pbs ?

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thank you - thats reasonable

I also ordered a catalog

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the info.

I don't know how many times I've looking at that link before though :hair:

Drawing blood is NOT child's play, that girl is probably a robot anyway.

17. ProctorHillFarm

haha- I didnt find it hard actually
    I put my hand on the side of their throat and pressed for a good 15-20 seconds- tapped the vein and voila.
    I guess the biggest mistake people make is to stick the needle through the vein, and not UP in the vein.

I only had a few out of 30 goats that I had to stick a few times in order to hit the vein

18. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    :ROFL: