Need tips on bathing a goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nancy_in_GA, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Northeast Georgia
    Please tell me how you give a goat a bath. I've never done this before, so nothing you can say will be obvious to me.

BTW, these are big goats (~170lb Saanen wethers). Can I do one by myself?

2. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    I am new to goats and mine are still babies, so I can't offer any advice to you. My little doe came with a huge collection of lice and so I gave her a flea bath. It was all my husband and I could do to bath her and she was only 2 months old at the time. However, maybe a larger goat wouldn't be so squirmy, I guess it also depends on what he is used to. I suppose that people who show their goats give them baths a lot?

My only suggestion is that if worse comes to worse and he really has to have a bath maybe you could set up a chute to keep him in place? Just be careful that there is nothing he can get hung up on if he is jumping around and watch yourself as well. However, I am coming to this with wild horse experience, not goat experience, so I am probably way off track, lol!

3. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Plan on getting wet!!! The first couple of times we bathed our goats it was hilarious. Now they are getting used to it. What we do is hook their lead real short to the hitch on our Blazer. This way they can only kinda pivot around in a half circle. Take the hose and wet them down real good. Soap up a rag and wash them down. If they are really dirty I take a brush to them after the rag. Then rinse. Make sure you get all the soap off. You can pretty much use any pet shampoo but we have found that the horse shampoos really get them cleaner. If it is a little chilly out I try to get them pretty dry but now that its warm I just towel them lightly and send them on their way.
  4. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Northeast Georgia
    Gosh, you have answered all my main questions already. That is a great idea about tying them to a vehicle---never would have thought of that!

I'm going to try one tomorrow and see how it goes. :party:

I've never done this before, but we are in a drought here, and two of them have red clay caked all over them, clear down to the skin and it makes them look like they have a horrible mineral deficiency or something. I'm afraid the neighbors will complain if I don't do something.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I use a tree and tie them to that with a dog leash. THen I spray them down add shampoo (use dog shampoo as human shampoo is rather harsh on their skin) lather up all over. Rinse off. Release goat and stand back ----- they shake like a dog.
  6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use a "face" halter andhook them under the chin and connect them short to my back porch post....I have a childs wading pool that they stand in while I spray then soap and scrub with the water in the pool...I have a well and at times need to conserve water....Rinse and a shiny but un happy goat appears! I have used strawberry shampoo "suave" on my pygmy buck and don't reccomend did nothing for his "buck perfume" just made a really gross bucky smelling "strawberry" :ROFL:
  7. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Northeast Georgia
    Re: Need tips on bathing a goat (update)

Thought someone might be interested in knowing how it went today.

I did the two youngest (4yo) Saanens all by myself.

Went armed to the hilt with buckets, rags, brushes, a hose, and Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Tied them close to one end of the front bumper of our EZ-GO utility vehicle, parked in a grassy area, so no mud. Expecting bucking-bronco-like behavior, squirming, laying on the ground or at least hollering.

The little (well not so little) bougars just stood their chewing their cud the whole time through while the other goats watched, like "Hey look how much attention I am getting." I couldn't believe it! Much easier than trimming hooves. The only thing that spooked them a little was the pssst sound of the hose spraying.

We stopped at two because I didn't want to spoil a good day.

Trouble is, as soon as they were dry one went directly to a pile of red clay dirt and plopped down in it, and the other one knocked off a scur and had blood running all over his face, so it stained the beautiful white coat that was discovered underneath the red dust.

We have 10 other goats (mostly dark colored Nubians). Not sure it's worth it if they are just going to wallow in the dirt again, but it was sort of fun. I did get all wet but it was because the hose spray bounced off the goat and back onto me.

Thanks again for the tips.
  8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like you had alot of fun!! I am just finishing my homework and I am going to try and give my horses a bath - we will see how this goes - as I have NEVER tried to give them a bath! LOL!

Today is the first Heat wave of the summer (lets just say our snow burms left the first week of May! and then it snowed a week later!) So it has not been warmer then about 70 with one weekend in the 80's. They are saying high 90's today and possibly 100 tommorrow - my goaties are dying..... so hubby said he is goignt o hook some sprinklers on the fence and shoot it in on the horses and goaties and see what happens - this should be funny! If he does it - I will get pictures.

I have been taking ice out and putting it in the water of the animals and then we are on well water so it is real cold when it comes out to - so I keep dumping thier water and refilling it so they can cool down!
  9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    well sounds like a fun experience - glad it went well for you. Goats just like dogs :angry: why can't they see they look so nice all washed up :GAAH:
  10. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I put my goats on the milkstand to bathe them :shades:
  11. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    Why laugh, I thought I'd cry!! I read about sheep's tails getting maggots, scurs bleeding profusely all over the place, all sort of fluids running here and there.. but, this.. this grossed me OUT!! :ROFL: Funniest thing I've read in a while!! :slapfloor:

Nancy, glad the baths went so well. I'm sure it makes them feel better even if they do just go back and get in the dirt. We don't have much grass here (live in a desert), but we do hose baths sometimes. I have also caught the girls in the misters along my mint patch enjoying the spray. I was thinking of getting a children's wading pool, too, since we're getting two puppies next week and it might give everyone a chance to cool off. Good idea on stopping on a high note, too! Let us know if you bathe the others how it goes.