need to get some copper in

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Thanatos, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I have noticed that Luna's tail tip is a bit bald and that Oreo has some patches over her eye that are a bit thin. I have read and heard these are signs of a Cu deffincancy. With out bolusing is there a way to get some extra copper in the daily diet? we switched back to the purina minerals cause when I noticed this I checked the bag and saw the minerals we were using had about 300ppm less than the purina.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Bolusing...minerals...I dont think there's a Cu injection....but with the bolusing it should clear up.

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I don't think there's any other way of getting copper in them. I just weigh the copper put it in the capsule and pop it down their throat. To me it's just like pilling a cat :wink:

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
  5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, that is the stuff. I dose at 1cc per 50lbs since I don't have a way to weigh it.

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    It sure is, but obviously you'll have to weigh it out for your goats weight. I bought a scale at the smoke shop to weigh it. Someone on here might be nice enough to sell you some boluses if you don't want to do them yourself :greengrin:
    Here's a link that Helmstead sent me that helped...
    http://www.u-sayranch.com/goats/copper.html
    Some people don't even use the capsules, they just mix it with yogurt and give it to the goats that way. I've had good success with the capsule so that's why I keep doing it. If you do try it with the capsule just cut the end off of a 3ml syringe put some yogurt inside then the capsule and then more yogurt and viola! You can use pudding too, anything that will make the pill slip down their throat. Shuve the syringe as far down their throat without your finger being bitten off and push the plunger.