Need to know more on silent pneumonia

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Wendyann, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Wendyann

Wendyann New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hi. I was just reading the post about acorn poisioning started by Sweet Gum Minis and was suprised at the ending. I am so sorry for her loss. Could anyone please tell me more about silent pneumonia? This scares me. Is there anything I can do to prevent it? :?

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I vaccinate my goats against pneumonia. I am not sure if it helps with the silent strain. Welcome to The Goat Spot. :D

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    From my understanding the vaccine only helps with the silent kind and not the bacterial kind. I could be wrong though. The silent pnemonia is a viral pnemonia and brought on by stress, overcrowding and a weak imune system and if you think about it is typically when the imune system is weakened by stress, overcrowding, worm overload or cocci then respitory problems follow and if the imune system is compremised then they are succeptable to getting viruses.

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Thanks Teresa..I learned something new too. I just vaccinate to be safe.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I vaccinated ONE time ever, and that year I had more goats with trouble then ever. I will NEVER do it again.
    The silent type. I tell all my 4Hers to KNOW THERE GOATS. If you know your goats, then you will know if something is wrong with them, and you can start the process on what it is right off the bat. I always have my stethoscope with me, so if I am thinking something, I can listen to them. It is a silent killer, so watch your gaats, know your goats, and you will be just fine.

6. Stacie

Stacie New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Lori--which vaccination did you use? The same thing happened to me. I used the Nasalgen for cattle. My vet said this happened because I introduced a new bug with a live virus and this often happens when you use this type of vaccination. Don't know if this was the case for you.

7. goat fever

goat fever New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    I'm curious was this vaccine like a live virus injection. In people the old polio vaccine was considered a live virus. The new polio vaccine is no longer a live virus to the best of my understanding. I thought maybe if it were a live virus, this could be the root of the problem when the first time vaccinations were given

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacie, I can not even remember what I gave. It was several years ago. I thought what I used was for goats, but I don't know, maybe not. I will try to find out, be cause I bought it at a place right around the corner from my work and I have to go there anyway.
    I guess I look at it like, (they have gone for years and years with out the shot and they have been just fine, so why play with nature)? Just MY opinion.

9. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    please, can somebody fill me in what silent pneumonia is?
    never heard about that expression yet.