The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased some Nubians: Bella, Belle, and Clara was thrown in for practically nothing. This little girl was born last Oct., her momma died and she has been fighting worms all year. I took the Bell'sto the vet for a CAE test (negative) and Clara's poop. Tests revealed "a boat-load of worms". I wormed the entire herd that night. The woman I purchased the does from did not know about copper boluses, so I gave all 3 copper too. The Bell's (who are suppose to be prego) got an adult dosage and Clara a kid dosage (guessing she is around 30 pds). Clara looks copper deficient. We can see Clara's ribs, she is skin and bones, but appears to be gaining a tiny bit of weight since we have gotten her (ribs are less prominent).

I am wondering when I should give Clara some more copper? I do not want to overdo it but the girl is sickly. And what about the two prego Nubians?

I am feeding them grain (specifically for goats), a little BOSS, some beet pulp, powdered livestock probiotics, and a little DE. I throw in some alfalfa cubes, but they are not fond of it so I mostly try to grab the shreds of alfalfa in the bag. Anything else I should consider getting for them considering 2 could be prego and Clara needs to put weight on desperately. Clara is a very picky eater and extremely timid, which makes getting her well even more difficult.

016.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
its a good idea to rule out worms by having a fecal done...include cocci in this test...

Goats loose weight alot faster than they gain it...its best to help her gain weight slowly..any new addition to her food or increases need to be done slowly..what you are feeding looks good...B complex can help increase the appetite and energy..slow and steady will get her there...

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
I wouldn't give her any copper if you just did it. But I agree that you might want to give her a selenium shot.

Have you tried soaking the cubes enough so they break up? or just breaking them up?

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
happybleats....she did a worm test and dewormed them
Opps I read that too lol...

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
I do agree to do cocci treatment though. I have a paranoia about that stuff! If I get a new goat, I deworm with Valbazen,treat for cocci with DiMethox 40 %, python dust em,and if I think they need it, I give probiotics for a week. I give a cd&t shot, and a good hoof trimming.I also will copper bolus and I use sel/e gel and give that too.This of course is pending on what they have had before I got them.
LOL...that's just for starters! ;) Yep, I'm paranoid!

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When home the entire herd is let out to graze as they wish. When we are away from home they can graze a tiny bit inside the enclosure but we give a little alfalfa hay too. I have a homemade sprinkler system set up in the enclosure to promote weed growth. I do have a tube of Selenium & it. E gel. I can try and get some into Clara, but oh my is that girl picky and timid.

I haven't soaked the cubes. Do you soak in ACV or what?

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
I've never soaked them before but I think you do it in just water. Only soak enough that they would eat right away.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Aww, they are all beautiful. Good for you for taking them in! I am adding a doe to the herd soon who came from a similar situation a few months ago. She is stunted, but her breeder and I are doing our best to get her into good health. I would always be very cautious when worming a pregnant doe though.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The vet saw the two adult does. He is the one who told me what dewormer to purchase and who in the herd to deworm (everyone but Bambi who is being milked for human consumption). We are guessing they are prego as they were covered by a buck, but vet did not do an ultra sound. Just a quick checkup and CAE test (negative).

The woman I purchased these goats from really cares about her goats but is overwhelmed. She had knee replacement surgery in Jan. and only a few days after my purchase her 90+ year old father passed on. She was the sole caretaker. His service was just the other day. She has way to many goats and is trying to sell a lot. Anyone looking for Nubians near Fredericksburg, TX can PM me for her info.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I purchased the alfalfa pellets to slow down Bambi so I could finish milking her. Clara will eat alfalfa hay so I will just keep doing what I am doing. The point is to fatten her up.

How long should I wait before giving more copper to Clara? One month, two, three? I am only giving her a kid dosage due to her stunted growth. She is only slightly bigger then my 5 month old and Clara is 10 months old.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't give copper any sooner than 3 months when a goat is real bad...For Clare I would wait longer...it take a bit of time for copper bolus to begin to turn things around...that along with a quality loose minerals made for goat, which has copper in it should help

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have loose minerals in two spots for the goats to partake but maybe I should add a tiny bit now and then to her grain. It is so hard to get her to eat what I give her now. She is fine until she figures out she is alone in the milking stall and then she won't eat anymore. She just wants to be let out so she can join her pals. She also finds ways to hide all the time.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We just weighed Clara. Poor girl is 10 months old and weighs only 38 pounds. For the heck of it we weighed our 5 month old mixed breed doe Susanna. Susanna weighs 41.5 pounds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We just weighed Clara. Poor girl is 10 months old and weighs only 38 pounds. For the heck of it we weighed our 5 month old mixed breed doe Susanna. Susanna weighs 41.5 pounds.
Just had a whether recovering from surgery and he was desperately skinny (such that I thought he was dying). Shot of B12, IV Ranitidine for a gastric ulcer and then smoothie that really saved him: banana, cup of peanut butter, red cell, probiotic paste, rice baby cereal, and Ensure. Forced this down him for a few days then he wanted to eat on his own. gained weight beautifully.

Be careful not to overdose the Red Cell. Can cause copper toxicity. Good luck!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
If Clair had Cocci or a bad case of worms early on (which sounds like a strong possibility) her intestines could have scar tissue making absorbtion of nutrition difficult..keeping her from gaining weight, causing runny poo when everything is ruled out...I had a Nubian doe who stayed super thin and boney while her sister thrived..after talking with her previous owners I found she had a big fight with cocci and never fully recovered, weight wise..she headed to a pet home where she is still doing super great...just super thin!

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Clara has battled worms all year. Her original owner dewormed her 3 times and the day after I got her took poop to the vet who told me "boat-load of worms" and told me what to buy to deworm the herd. Clara's poop has changed from pudding to what looks like human poop in the few weeks I have had her. Just ordered a bunch of natural stuff (herbs, tinctures, etc.) in hopes of helping her GI tract heal. An herbalist who is an expert on goats (and owns a bunch) is helping me treat her. We weighed Clara yesterday and she weighs 38 pounds but honestly she looks like she is filling out some, not as easy to count ribs as it was when she first came to us.

Took these pics this morning:
011.jpg

013.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts