need to vent

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sparks879, Mar 18, 2008.

1. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Ok all my wonderful goat friends, only you guys can understand this one. I have a mom in my 4-h club who is driving me nuts! She called yesturday saying sapphire had tripletrs, one was very under developed and stinky, she pulled it. The other two are fine. Thi year is the first year the decided to bottle feed and milk the doe. Well mom hadn't completly dropped her afterbirth, so she cut it about three inches short of her vulva. As we all know the weight of it hanging helps to get it all out. Well now she is telling me the rest went back in and it hasn't come out. ARG i told her to give her some raspberry leaves and call the vet. She did give her the leaves but didn't bother with the vet. She is on no antibiotics because she doesn't belive in them. OK but at least get her uterus flushed. Well she came in this morning and i asked her how the doe was she said she wouldnt eat and her ears are drooping, but she thinks she will be ok! Hello RED FLAG! So the only thing she could get her to eat was chicken scratch. so she is letting her to get her to eat something she says. I ran out to the warehouse to see if the scratch we carry has any animal bi products no thankfully. But chicken scratch (and correct me if im wrong) not good for goats?
    She told me the mix of feed she is feeding....dairy 16 which is for cows and a 16% protein feed, honor goat lactaion another 16% protein feed and purina goat chow another 16% protein feed. Now correct me if im wrong again but she is mixing all these together. is this too much protein for the doe???? it seems like it would be to me. Im not sure what kind of hay she isfeeding, i think just local grass, maybe alfafa, but she never buys alfalfa hay or pellets from us.
    OK im done, it just frustraes me because the doe is suffering, and the mother wont listen to anything. This doe is her sons 4-h project.
    beth

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry but I do have to voice my opinion on this one!! You are absolutely right about the amount of protein being too high as well as the chicken feed. Some people shouldn't have 2 legged kids let alone 4 legged!! Ask her if it were her son that had an infection and would only eat candy...what would she do for him? She is truly just showing her kid that it's ok to let an animal be sick and not care enough about it to treat it. People like her just royally p*** me off!! If you don't care about something you shouldn't be responsible for it....Kick her in the pants for me! :angry:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Liz - I second that!

Beth - Kick her for me too! :)

I sure hope that the goatie gets the help that she needs!

Allison

4. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    :veryangry: WHAT WAS SHE THINKING???? obviously she lacks all common sense
    the poor goat needs to release the afterbirth. You could tell her to push warm molassas
    water, it not only is nutrition for her but the warm water helps with passing it. She never should have cut
    it off ,the weight of it helps by keeping a strain on it. I hate to see people who interfere with the natural
    process Lets pray everything turns out okay for her sons sake.

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Give her a few kicks for me too!!!!!! :angry: :veryangry: Something needs to be done.....that is animal cruelty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I must say you are in a bad spot! That women needs a big kick in the hiney!!!!!!!!!! :veryangry: :angry: :hair:

7. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    She sounds like a train wreck what the dickens is she thinking?

8. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    why don't you ask if you can go see the doe. then you can decide weather to convince her to call the vet or ou offer to call for her(not saing to pay the bill just call). then if you have any does who have kids show her how the look. how happy they are.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i have pretty much given up on trying to reason her. a couple of years ago this same doe came down with a case of pink eye after the fair, she went blind and almost permanatly lost her sight. she blamed one of my does who had a little bit of a cough that cleared up with no antibiotics after fair. We had the vet out at the fair and he said it was the dust.
    to this day she still blames me.
    she went to the other 4-h leader who is a good friend of mine. She told her to either call someone who knows goats or a vet she wont do either.
    i havnt heard from her today but as far as i know the goat isnt doing any better. im just crossing my fingers. I hate to sit back and watch. but to this lady im just a know it all ammature goat farmer. i dont want to come across as a know it all to anyone, but i do believe i know a thing or two, just like all of you guys. I just cant figure out why she wont work with anyone in trying to help the animal. just like we all do here.
    arg some people, but what can you do? i guess when people set their minds to something sometimes you just cant change it.
    beth

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH, Beth. I so feel for you. Don't you just hate it when someone asks for your opinion and then will not listen? :veryangry: I had someone call frantic about something. I told her what I would do and she questioned everything I told her. I finally told her that if she does not trust what I have to say then why the HE** are you calling me?

I hate to say it but I am afraid that she MIGHT lose that doe. If she does not pass that in the 24 hours we know what that will mean. I hope for the does sake she is able to pull out of it.

That is the bad part of being a 4H leader. It has so many perks, (helping the kids and being involved), but then you have those people.

11. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Unfortunatly kicking her isn't going to save the goat. :veryangry: :worried: All you can do is try to reason with the woman and pray :pray: for the doe.I'm sorry you've been put in this situation. :(

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Oh i know kicking her wont help but sometimes the thought makes us feel better. Im just glad i have friends like you guys to vent to....
    As im watching my first doe of the year deliver two big healthy kids. And pass the afterbirth within an hour of kidding. It just looked so easy you know, it was partially out when i got to her and her kids were still wet so it couldnt of been long. I milked the colostrum out of her and she walked around for a few minutes eating some grass and drinking her mollasses water. Out it came. so easy. I juts went down to check on mom and clean her up again, she dove right into a couple handfuls of grain is perfectly happy and acting totally normal. i wish they were all as easy as this kidding. but i know sometimes its not and it can lead to prblems but for godsakes do something when theyre not. I havnt heard again from the women. Im hoping that she has called the vet and is getting sapphire some help.
    beth

13. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    That's horrible. Unfortunetly it sounds like the woman is going to learn the hard way that you can't mess around when it comes to the goat's health. I hope everything works out. I feel really bad for you right now!

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Beth, have you heard anything about that doe?

Congratulations on you new babies. What did you get?

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

no i havnt heard anything. Im hoping thats good, as i think she would call if the doe had died. I hope she finally called a vet. crossing my fingers for sapphires and her sons sake.
    We got a buck and a doe, the buck is eight lbs and the doe is seven. good sized kids! there are pictures in the kidding section.
    beth

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Beth, sorry, I do remember reading about your babies, They looked a lot bigger then that. But they are sure cute.

17. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    post removed due to wrong location

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

So i saw the women that owns sapphire today, asked her how she was doing, she said she is doing better, she is on antibiotics, i didn' ask what kind or if she saw a vet or anything. Just left it at that. It sounds like she is doing better. I think she may have fonally gotten her brain in place, at least on that note.
    On another she ordered some dairy goat lactation(16% protein) i said we're out of that, ok purina goat chow (also 16 % protein) yes im sorry to say we were out of that too, this is the mix she usually feed along with dairy 16. We dont have many goats in the area, we order a certain amount of bags at a time if they sell they sell, sometimes they sell faster then other. She just keeps coming in at the wrong time i guess. She said we were always out of what she needed So i suggested some cob, she practically chewed my head off saying on oh no my goats arnt used to that its not enough protein bladeblah bla. so she decided to just feed them chicken scratch until we got it. she then went out to the warehouse and chewed mike up because we didnt have any. poor mike, i think he was kind of upset, i just told him to ignore her and dont worry about it. but stilll, oh well at least the doe is doing better.....for now...
    beth

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good thing you were out of chicken scratch

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

oh no, we have lost of that. thats what she is feeding until we get the other stuff in.
    beth