The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of does from a gal and their babies never nursed from their mom after they were born. They were were bottle fed babies from the very start. I would like to allow my girls the opportunity to be a mom and raise their babies until it is weaning time. I was told that if I did that, the does would not give as much milk after we weaned the babies. In your opinion or experience is that what you experienced? Please let me know. Thank you so much for your help!

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I bought a couple of does from a gal and their babies never nursed from their mom after they were born. They were were bottle fed babies from the very start. I would like to allow my girls the opportunity to be a mom and raise their babies until it is weaning time. I was told that if I did that, the does would not give as much milk after we weaned the babies. In your opinion or experience is that what you experienced? Please let me know. Thank you so much for your help!
I think why they told you that is this.... if you wait to milk a doe until she is already weaning them some then probably yes she will have less milk because the kids were drinkin less. But like karen said... if you start milking the doe early you should keep the volume of milk when you separate to wean. If that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
For the does that I let keep their kids (usually bucklings), I still milk them twice a day from day 3 on. I do this to keep track of any udder problems or injuries they may get, and to make sure the demand is there to keep them in milk after they have weaned their kids. I have always found when I weaned the kids, they had a glut of milk! Those kids were sucking down well over a gallon each, which I didn't realize until I pulled the kids from them.

Reactions: Sfgwife

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
If your doe has large capacity - you will need to check her udder when she gives birth to make sure she is not overly engorged. I have milked my heavy producers on the first day, saving some colostrum for other kids expected. I will milk a doe from day three as well, as long as kids are in good shape with full tummies. To make sure kids are getting enough I weigh them daily for at least the first couple of weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts