The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All....Amos has always had difficult hooves..But more recently they have been bad...we have to trim once a week to keep him from limping..and I think it might be out trim job or genetics..??? Im not the best at hooves but do a fair job..keep everyone walking correct....Except poor Amos...
He is about 280# or more.a big heavy boy! His back hooves are fine...its the front..he has those splade out kind..and now the inner side folds under toward the center and he tends to walk on his heels..to try to fix this we cut a bit more off the toe to tilt him forward and more off the inside of the one side to help pull that on up..but I wonder if his "ankle" might be flimsy...lol..I dont know he has got me on my witts end..I just want to correct this without making it worse..I have him on monthy selenium since that is an issue and it showed in him ...his hooves grow very fast..rut or no rut he has to be trimmed! I will try to get better pix than these but maybe you can see his problem..other than his front hooves he is in good health..a rutty mess, but healthy lol..Thanks for any advice on fixing him up :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try to get that today..looks like weather is going to be harsh the next few..: ) we trimmed yesterday..took over an hour, giving him breaks, working on the next foot then back to the front...he would go down on his knees and lay flat on the ground from his chest down to his chin, front legs stretched back with his butt up in the air lol.. guess he got tired of standing there for us lol..Hes such a sweet buck even in rut...Thank God for goats milk soap to clean up after lol..

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
Being a Saanen his spread toes are most likely genetic. A lot of Saanens have really poor feet and unfortunately some breeders just accept it as how they are. You can try to help it by trimming the outside wall on each toe a little shorter than the inside wall to get the toes to want to rock back inwards instead of out. I would also be sure to trim out everything in between the toes. I usually turn the trimmers sideways, put between the toes, start at the heel and trim forwards to get the heel trimmed back and some of the other parts of the hoof that like to grow funky in there.

He looks awfully clean to be in rut lol I wish mine were like that!... were these pics taken this summer?

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL..Oh yes that pic was early in rut lol...hes a yellow sticky mess now lol..Thanks for the tips...we had a cold front come in and I spent the day preparing for dropping temps...Ill try to get better pix tomorrow....
I agree about Saanen and bad hooves...all mine have some issue, Im able to keep everyone trimmed nice, but they need it often..but Amos has become a difficult child lol..and the older he gets the more I have to work on his hooves...but he throws amazing kids..heavy milkers...he himself has man boobies filled with milk..Yep we know..my son milked him to see lol..He will not out live that lol..just wish I got pictures lol...

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I've seen a buck like that before! It's so weird!

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it is strange to see lol..had one guy ask if he had tumors lol..

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
LOL! :slapfloor: :ROFL:

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never heard of that!! Wow!
Here is a pic when they were small..they are twice that size now lol..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But at nearly 300#, the other boys dont dare tease him :p

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yah..the Does have nothing to worry about..he dont even have a table lol

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
He is splay footed. Its a structure issue that is genetic.He also looks a little weak in the (not terrible), which will exaggerate or even cause the splay foot. You can try trimming the stuff between his toes and i find that usually the toe needs more off to level it out some but these pictures are a little hard to tell.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Dani..he is weak on his "ankles" Selenium vit e treatment seem to be helping..I just know if I can get the hooves in shape, I can keep them that way..its hard to figure out..should I take more heal or more toe..should I take more inner or outer hoof lol..I have not hit the blood viens yet, so I have time to figure it out before causeing him to bleed.....Ill try to get better pic..

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
That's good. A better picture would help. I know my girl with weak pasterns has feet like that. I think it had to do with ligaments being strained and weakening. She usually wears her heals down so her toe needs trimming more often than not

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought about using vet band to support them lol..but didnt know if it would make them weaker..but the selenium has helped, so I will keep up with that..he hates it lol but he is such a good boy...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts