Needing Help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jbruner7, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jbruner7

jbruner7 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Montrose, IA
    I am new to having goats. Our two little does were dehorned(I would have never agreed to this if I would have known, I wanted them disbudded when they were still young enough, Long story). Any way it looks as though one of my little does had headbutted something in the barn and torn off her button to her horn. Her head was completely healed until she did this. Now it looks raw and bloody but is not bleeding. What can I do for her, and what would cause her to head butt something so hard? was she scared at night? Did she do it trying to get out? They are both locked up in the barn at night. I am attaching pictures. One is of her yesterday, you can see her horns are healed and look good. The other two are of her head this morning and the button of her horn that she knocked off.
    Any help would be great I am very concerned for her and do not want her to get infection or anything.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I dont see any pics but, i'd clean it , maybe some gentle iodine or other wound spray to keep it clean like blu-kote. if it starts bleeding , keep pressure on it until it stops.

dont know what could have caused it , maybe she had an itch and it cam off while itching :shrug:
    she'll be fine - goats are always doing crazy stuff.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As long as the bleeding has stopped and it is kept dry, the risk of infection is slight...to be sure though you should get a "normal" temp on her...normal is anywhere from 101.5 to 103.5....if her temp is any higher in the next day or 2 then I would advise a round of antibiotics as well as a "cleaning and disinfecting" of the area...a mild iodine or even a anti bacterial spray would work. Just make sure to not get it in her eyes. A head butt would not be the only culprit...as it heals it will get itchy..she more than likely scratched off the scab with her hind hoof or even a wall.

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I agree with Liz, I think she's going to be just fine.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I agree too, she should be just fine. Most of our momma does will "bite" the button off anyways (sounds nasty but they do it). Even had a bottle-baby living with some other weaned junior does - one of them bit her "buttons" off. It was a little scabby looking but I just kept an eye on it and it was just fine.

Could it have been another one of your goats who bit your babies bud off??

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    She should be just fine - Like everyone else mentioned. Just make sure that she is eating and drinking for you and not acting "off". She might be a little ouchy but she should be just fine!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some wonder dust on any raw skin. Great stuff that wonder dust.

8. jbruner7

jbruner7 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Montrose, IA
    Thank You to everyone who was gracious enough to help me in my time of need. I tried to download pics but I guess they are too big or something. I am new to forums etc... and do not know much about posting and how to change them.

My little goat is doing great. I am glad to know that there is a place I can go when I need help. Since I am new to goats this comes as a great relief. Thank you all so much. I look foreword to being a part of this forum.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Good to hear that she is doing good.
    Just so you know, they butt heads just to play, so there is no way of really knowing how or why this happened. She will be fine after you pamper her. :ROFL: You know she will need lots of special attentions RIGHT. :slapfloor:
    Really she will be fine.