Needing Milk Stand Dimensions for Minis

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HollowbeadRanch, Jul 28, 2009.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    My Hubby is going to LOVE this... lol But I am making a list of things I need him to make me for my goats when he gets home. Other than fencing, the other main thing I need is a milk stand to help make it easier for me to treat and trim hooves by myself, and I also hope to try milking some of my girls this go around. So, I actually found some pics of a metal milk stand (because as most of you know... since my husband is a welder he REFUSES to build ANYTHING with wood :roll: ) and he is really good at looking at pics and building it himself (even making up stuff of the top of his head... as you saw with the goat cage for my Avalanche :wink: ), BUT I would like to have some dimensions to give him to help him out a little. So here are my questions (and this is will be for MINIS):

1. How tall off the ground should it be?

2. How wide should it be?

3. How long should it be?

If you can think of anything else that I should know, please feel free to add it in. And if you have any pics of milkstands that might help please post them! Thanks in advance!! :greengrin:

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    This is what we used...
    http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/milkstand.html

The only issue we ever had was with our 25lb, 14" pygmy wether. We built him a 4" stool to stand on even though he only needed another 2". I love my stanchion!

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Brandi, Let me get a pic and the measurement's, DH custom built one for my mini's awhile ago.....love it.

4. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thank you both!

And Liz that would be GREAT! :leap: I showed Hubby what I had found and we had thought about maybe putting sides on it that I could drop down... that way the goats that have never been in a stand before won't be moving their back halves off the stand :wink:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Got pics and measurements :greengrin:

overall dimensions are : headgate assembly: floor to top is 4 feet tall.
    platform is 2 feet wide by total of 38 1/2 inches long, this includes the frame for the headgate.
    Platform is topped with 1 inch plywood, with frame work it is 19 inches in height, my girls have no problems getting up on it and it is a good height for me to work with as I am 5'9, no back ache and I have a little stool to sit on that has me at a perfect level for milking.

entire thing was made with 2x4's we had around, the 1" plywood was scrap too.
    FRONT....The left 2x4 is the stationary side of the headgate, the right one swings on a lag screw at the bottom to slide towards the left, anchored with the chain, the space between the two is about 12 inches, the 12 inch length of chain allows me to also lock my bucks in there as their necks are much heavier than the does.
    [​IMG]
    Top view of the headgate assembly
    [​IMG]
    The chain "lock"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Side view
    [​IMG]
    Hope these help, it is light enough that I can move it around but it is not portable, meaning that it is solidly built with no hinges.

6. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks so much Liz!!!! :hug: I can show Hubby these pics and give him the dimensions!!! This REALLY helps! Thanks!! :leap: :hug: :leap:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sure thing....the piece of 2x4 across the top of the feed pan was my addition, DH made it for my horned goats and when polled Binky came along, she was able to slip her head out of the stanchion, since your goats will be hornless, your hubby can just set the moveable part of the headgate closer to the center, making the gap smaller. Glad it helped. :hug: