The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Our nanny is showing signs of going into labor soon. Not sure of the exact dates but guessing it should be within a week. Ligaments are soft/barely there. She has begun to get irritated with the others, so we moved her to the barn. Today is has been acting strange. (To me she has) I've noticed that she is having a hard time getting up and down or even when she bends to eat or drink. This will be her 3rd breeding with us. My questions are: Anything I can do for her? Vitamin B shot? Sit and wait?
She is moaning more and grinding her teeth more now than what she was a couple of days ago.
Husband is leaving for awhile and I'm going at this solo, so any information would be so helpful! Thanks!! View attachment 161989 View attachment 161991

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My goodness she looks to be in really poor condition.

I hope she kids okay.
Yesterday she was full, not sunken in. This morning she looks like this. I absolutely hate that I can't pinpoint what's going on. This is my son's goat and I would feel horrible if something would happen. The last time she had triplets and was back to "normal" 24 hours later.

·
Fair-Haven
4,717 Posts
Her left front knee looks swollen. I would get her some energy in the form of "magic" or something else. Does her breath smell sweet? I agree - from the rear she doesn't look pregnant - but if you are sure, make sure you have some colostrum or colostrum replacer on hand just in case she has nothing for her kids.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Her left front knee looks swollen. I would get her some energy in the form of "magic" or something else. Does her breath smell sweet? I agree - from the rear she doesn't look pregnant - but if you are sure, make sure you have some colostrum or colostrum replacer on hand just in case she has nothing for her kids.
I ended up calling the vet out since she wasn't improving. She has worms. So dewormer and Vitamin B shots is what the vet recommended. I have 3 does that you can never tell when they are ready to go, one minute they are heading into their field and next minute babies are following lol.
We always keep colostrum and bottles on hand just in case.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
How old is she, may I ask?
Can you get her a protein tub (all species) or a protein pail (for goats) or and equine protein pail? TSC will usually have one of them. Here're pics
SKU #251277899 container is now black

SKU #251274499

SKU #521795399

SKU #508299299

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
How is she today?
What is your mineral mix? If you don't offer loose minerals, when you are at TSC, look for this in the cattle section
SKU: 113194999

If your store doesn't have that, then look for this
SKU: 101468599

Those are the best 2 TSC has to offer.
Does she have iodine? If not look for a salt block that is iodized. Almost all of us here use a blue cobalt salt block and/or a selenium salt block (kinda greenish) both of which have iodine.

Is she any better at all today?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
What dewormer are you giving?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
If you have a Southern States, I have other options for you. Most people have a few TSCs within driving distance, that's why I mention that first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts