Needy Nubian Needs Home

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by KellyM, Jun 12, 2014.

1. KellyM

KellyM New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Hello everyone. I have gotten myself into a bit of a jam and need advice. The short version... We had intended to move to the farm and start a simpler life; husband got a great promotion; now we have to liquidate- more or less.

The problem? We can keep or sell the house-whatever. We can give the chickens away and the gardens will do their own thing. But I have a ADGA Nubian that is a bit spoiled- she came that way; I made it worse. I need advice on how to find her a home that will keep her in the pettish kind of mind. She is a great milker and she has a yearling doe with her. Gretel, the little one will be fine almost anywhere. She is a little weird, but should blend OK with others. Miela on the other hand has had a little more attention and I cannot move back in with my husband until I find an acceptable home for my little girl.

Any advice on finding a needy nubian a home would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    What are some of her needy and spoiled habits? She might behave normally again if she moves in with a herd, and keeps occupied. I hope you find a good home for her :)

3. CritterCarnival

CritterCarnival Yes Dear Goat Farm

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    Where are you located? I could use another reg Nubie. :think:

4. sbaker

sbaker New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Louisiana
    I would take her, too! Love my spoiled Nubians! Where do you live?

5. KellyM

KellyM New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Her biggest issue is wanting to be brushed. She is a little itchy from shedding and really appreciates it when she gets scratched with the comb. She and her babies have been the only goats around for at least two years so when you go to the barnyard she expects attention. She doesn't misbehave to get it, she just crowds a little. Miela is much nicer to Gretel now that Larry (aka Hansel) is gone so meanness is not her issue either.

I made the mistake of teaching her tricks. She can shake and we are working on right and left. Other than those things she just looks at you with those does eyes and it seems to say-- pet me, pay attention to me.

She also seems to have a separation thing. As long as she is in the front pen she is fine and has never gotten out or attempted to get out. Our back pen is an "L" shape off the front and she doesn't seem to want to stay over there unless someone stays outside with her. It is a new yard and there is lots of greens, but it seems the goodies are not worth being in the back. I'm just guessing but she cannot see the back door from the back pen very well and that seems to make her insecure. So she rams the gate and goes back to the front where she knows its safe.

No real bad behavior-- just a people goat.

6. KellyM

KellyM New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    We are 17 miles south of Warsaw, MO. Near the lakes.

7. canyontrailgoats

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Oh she doesn't sound too bad, just a loving sweetie pie! :) . I hope someone takes her for a pet

8. KellyM

KellyM New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    It may sound a little odd but I was wondering if there is a foster program in Missouri or Kansas. I'm not sure how long I will be gone and it may be as little as a month or so. I would really like to leave her somewhere I know she will be taken care of with the possibility of getting her back later. There are programs where a person can leave their dog and pay for upkeep. Is there any like that for goats? I have considered getting a caretaker here but I'm kind of back to who can be trusted?

You know you got it bad when you don't care if they rob you blind but they can't be mean to the goat!! Thanks all for the replies.

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No. See if you can board them somewhere. Then you are charged a daily fee and you pay them monthly.

10. KellyM

KellyM New Member

Jun 12, 2014

I was trying to get around the boarding thing. If its anything like boarding a dog when you go on vacation-- its just not good enough for my Miela. She would be stuck in a pen and the folks there usually have little or no time to spend with the animals. Not that they don't care for them well, just that in doing the normal chores associated with a boarding facility there is no time for play and love.

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know how many people board goats but when I boarded alpacas, they were treated as if they were my own. They were out in the pasture with my alpacas. I had permanent boarders.

12. CritterCarnival

CritterCarnival Yes Dear Goat Farm

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    You're really not that far from me, about 7 hours drive or so. If it comes right down too it and you have to rehome her, I am interested. Do you have pictures and pedigree I could see?

13. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    finding a wonderful home shouldnt be that hard...what is hard it seems is you letting her go...sounds like you love her very much...but if you can find a home that you feel good about, that would at least make it easier...

14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Maybe keep her and visit the hubby on weekends? :laugh:
    Good luck.

15. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    My thoughts exactly :hi5::D

16. LoriH

LoriH Active Member

Link says its unavailable????

17. NigerianGirl

NigerianGirl Junior Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    Are you still looking for a home? Is she show able? I may know someone if she is

J.O.M's registered dairy goats❤️

18. KellyM

KellyM New Member

Jun 12, 2014

That is the answer I choose. At least until someone comes along that is as crazy about her ( or just crazy?) as I am. Check out the video of her shaking hands. And her weirdo daughter who insists on standing between peoples legs. Any ideas on that one? She does it every time you stand still in the barnyard and she will stay there when you walk away if you don't walk fast enough. I tell her everyday that she is going to cause me to fall and break a hip... it doesn't seem to change her mind about doing it.

19. canyontrailgoats

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Do you have any pics of this needy nubian? I'd like to see the "spoiled" goatie :)