neeed some advice and assurance from my fellow goat lovers!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Mar 5, 2011.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok...this could be long, bare with me! So I have been fighting mites this winter......after trying Katrina's advice of mineral oil and permectin II mixed it seems we have finally got a handle on the awful critters.......but now my little Bones is losing all his hair, I am not kidding (no pun intended)......he started a month ago losing his undercoat, which he is always the first one to blow his coat as soon as days get longer......but it's not stopping with the undercoat, he hair is thinning all over....I can pull out hands full by just petting him! He is bald on both sides kind of down low.....but not his belly.....he has been rubbing on the fences. His skin is nice and pink except for a couple of scratch marks he made which I treated.....he does seem itchy. Other two boys are fine......I did a fecal on Bones yesterday, he had an epg of 250 with 5 eggs showing on slide, which is the highest I have ever had on him.......I have caught him drinking out of melted snow muddles, crazy boy! So here is what I give them and have done for him......all boys get clean changed out water approx 3x's a day, hay 24/7, like a handful of grain and BOSS once a day....more as a treat and to get them back in their pen. It was time to copper bolus them, so I did that yesterday.....they have great minerals (right now onyx)......I have been giving him a zinc tab since he started shedding so bad, last night we went ahead and injected him with Ivomce Plus to cover mites if he still has any and also to get the worms, I was worried about him drinking out of puddles with liver flukes... he acts fine, color is great, he is eating, pooping, peeing......like I said a bit itchy, more so than when we were batteling the mites.....so I think the hair falling out is making him itch......I gave him childrens benydrel (sp?) last night for itching......the weather is still to bad to do a complete clean out of their pen, I do take out ickies and put fresh straw down on top.....I have dusted their bedding.......this morning I went ahead and gave him some complex B, trying to up his immune system.......anything I am missing?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: neeed some advice and assurance from my fellow goat love

Sounds like your doing everything and more to help him out. This is the worse time of year for hair issues. Sometimes they just loose all their hair and there isn't much you can do but give them a coat when it's cold.

Give the ivomec + some time to work. It's worked wonders on one of my girls.

Have you given BoSe? Sometimes when they need selenium their hair looks bad too.

Sounds like the goat spa there.. could I send some over for a few days? LOL :shades:

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Bring'em on Ashley! I would love it! I have never given the boys BoSe....I have one of "those vets"! I have in the past used the gel and I have human pills.....maybe I should try one.....I was afraid of putting to much into his system all at once. He acts like he could careless about his baldness......I do have a coat ready if he shows signs of being cold.....it is suppose to get down in the 20's tonight, so hubby thinks we should put it on......I just didn't want to until I have to and I know Elwood will be doing his best to get it off of Bones. Thanks for the thumbs up, I always worry that I might be missing something.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I would give the gel. The gel/paste needs to be given every month. I hate giving BoSe, but it necessary for healthy goats. You can probably get some from VetServ. I would give you some, but I need to get some myself!!

The good thing about the oral over the injection is that it's a lot harder to overdose on oral meds, but they don't absorb it as good.

You know I have lots of wethers for sale. :p

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

cdtrm my buck is an awful mess too, not sure if its lice or mites but great bald patches. Everyone else looks fine.
    He got an ivomec+ injection last week (boy did he not like that!) BoSe about a month ago. And I just got copper boluses to do that.
    He doenst drink out of puddles but came from a place I dont think fed loose minerals, which means he's not used to it therefore probably deficient.
    Seems like alot of folks are dealing with this right now so I feel for ya.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

I will try ordering some and give gel for now....Ashley, I want some of your wethers so bad, but just can't right now.....we are getting ready to head to Texas, our daughter is in China picking up their little girl....they ended up taking their son with so we didn't go down to keep him, but are going down to meet our new g-baby! I hope to get Bones in good shape before leaving my boys in the care of a friend......I hate leaving them!

Nancy......I was ready for Bones to have a fit, but he didn't, hubby held him still and I gave it fast... hubby had treats ready to offer as soon as I was done......Bones loves his treats! I was thinking maybe Bones isn't eating his minerals either.....I don't always see them eat them, I just refill feeder when it get low.......so I am now offering them to him by hand and he eats them.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Great advice given...I hope you can get the hair issue under control...I also have a Doe... that looks terrible....It's been a bad year....for bad hair days.... :(

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

So I went ahead and gave him some VitE/Sel gel that I had......but if I can get a hold of some BoSe, how long before I can give it since I just gave him the gel? Calling the vet tommorrow and ask, but may have to try and get it through Vetserv.