The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Nazarene Valley Saanens
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been helping some of the Russians in my area with goat husbandry, mostly with things like hoof trimming, deworming, giving shots, taking care of newborn kids etc. Well, yesterday I went over to some property where a family is keeping a herd of brush goats, I guess just to help keep the weeds down. According to my friend who told me about them, the family knew nothing about goats, and said the goats were "not doing so well". They just wanted me to come take a look and answer some questions, and maybe do some basic care procedures. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I certainly wasn't anticipating the horrific things I found! There were 11 goats (previously 12, one had just died on Sunday); about 3 bucks, 2 whethers and 6 does. It was a mixture of Nubians, Nigerian Dwarfs, a couple of mixed breeds and a Saanen type doeling. Most of them had severe scours and were extremely emaciated, looking like walking skeletons. Many of them were very anemic; their eyelids were paper white. Some of them were in such poor shape that they were collapsing as I was trying to trim their hooves. The lady said that they had had them for about 6 months; they had gotten them as 3 week old kids and bottle raised them on store bought cow's milk for two months. There were only about three that looked like they could have been close to 6 months old, the rest were all severely stunted in their growth.

I ended up deworming all of them and trimming their hooves. I wasn't really prepared to do much else, but those seemed to be the most important things at the moment. The lady said they come once a week and give them a little grain, but that's the only care they ever get. I can tell she's not the abusive type, she's just extremely inexperienced. I gave her the best advice I could (my friend was translating for me), and she really seemed to be listening. I wrote down the name of the dewormer and gave her the phone numbers for some feed stores where she can get necessary supplies.

I'm considering offering to take one or two of them off her hands; I'd like to take more, but that's all I have room for. :( What should I do? I feel so awful for those poor little goats!

·
Registered
31,514 Posts
What wonderful work you are doing!! It is very hard to see goats suffer and especially so when they are out of our care...

I would be careful what you bring home..they could carry something to your herd, maybe offer to go weekly (or more ofteninthe beginning) so you can tend to them and teach the owner, who seems willing to learn, what her resposabiity are toward her goats..
I would encourage her to treat for cocci, continue treatment for worms...the ones wil white lids are severly anemic and need treatment for that...sounds like their over all health is in the danger zone and even after you have done all this some may not make it...But we still try :D...Keep up the good work.
hugs

·
Super Moderator
59,795 Posts
That is very nice of you. First I would see if she would be receptive to getting rid of her goats. You can always ask her.

·
Nazarene Valley Saanens
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I definitely considered the disease factor, when thinking about bringing one home. I would want to test for some things first, and wait until the worming took affect before taking anyone home.

@ksalvagno, It's true, I have no idea what the woman's response would be to my asking if she would want to get rid of some of them, but now that she (hopefully) understands the severity of the situation, she might see that it would be a good decision.

I'll continue to think and pray about this, and we'll just have to see how it goes. In the mean time, please keep me and the goats in your prayers!

Thank you.

·
I'm watching you
22,564 Posts
This is a great thing to do.

I would encourage her to spend her money on alfalfa rather then grain. Enough can be left for a few days in a dry area. Then they will have a nutritious snack all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts