Neighbors Doelings?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Trace, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I stopped by today to look at my neighbors two new nubian doelings.

Both look kind of skinny to me - but mine are fatties.

One of them is especially skinny with a huge tummy - does that sound like worms to you? I asked if they had been wormed - they said only through their grain?

Both of them you can feel their spine and the really skinny one you can really feel her ribs and hips - with no fat pads on either of their hips at all - but like I said she has the big tummy. She is also a lot smaller than the other one.

They are both about 4 months old - they are on free choice hay and I believe that they might be feeding them sweet feed.

After I came away I remembered that I should have looked at their eyelids - they should be rosy pink right - if they are really light white that indicates a high work load right?

They both also have scabs on their ears which I assume is from the flies biting.

Thoughts and suggestions? I would like to try and pass on some help to them.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first are they looking for help or are you just going to offer it? if they arent looking for help or seem receptive to your suggestions be careful people can get easily offended if you put your nose where it doesnt belong.

Dairy goats are to be on the thinner side - to see their hip bones and ribs is not uncommon. For young kids I would like to see less of this as they should be filling out.

Worms are a possibility as those top dress wormers rarely work. I would suggest they get an ivermectin based wormer even if its just a horse wormer and triple the goats weight and dose according to that on the horse paste tube (remember more is better then less and you wont OD them on it).

Fly spray is never a bad option during the summer, I use horse fly spray on my goats even my kids.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    ^Agreed. I would be very careful offering advice when they didn't ask for it. If they bring something up about them then you could probably carefully chime in, but I personally wouldn't say anything unless they look like they are going to die or something.

4. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    She was definately looking to me with questions.

I initially asked if they were eating well - as a kind of lead in on the weight issue and she definately took that and ran with it.

The guy also has an aged togg wether there and he was all bones on top - but like I said mine are fatties.

So should I check there lids if I get invited back and asked?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    check eyelids -- suggest a fecal if they wont do that at least tell them a worming would do them good.

6. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I have a doeling who is about 4-5 months old Alpine/Saanen cross, just got over cocci and pneumonia, has always been skinny. What do I do? I seriously want to fatten her up, but since she is the low girl on the totem pole, can't get as much as my NDs....I am starting to take her out at night to the stand to eat...so she can get more. Hopefully this will work. The vet said she wasn't anemic with the cocci and worms. WE, hopefully, have eradicated these problems....