Neighbors goat is sick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nubiansrus, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I have a neighbor thats 2 yr old boer nubian cross is she... well they say shes 2 yrs old, I think shes more like 1 yr, cause she was born at their place and they live behind me. Anyways She had four kids about a month ago. One didnt make it, the other three are very healthy big kids. 3 days ago the mom started to seem sick, went and looked at her tonight like they asked me but there was little I could tell them I havent had goats long. But i said id post here. She is very weak, often stands on her front knees. She doesnt eat her food hasnt for about a day and a half. has diarhea. Shes not wormed or vaccinated. I could think of so many things it could be. What do you all suggest? Besides taking her to the vet because they wont. They couldnt get a temp on her, so me and hubby are gonna go catch her and temp her in the morning, shes pretty crazy and wild.

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

sounds like a cocci and worm over load, and possibly a calcium deficiancy. I would start here on a cocci treatment right away, as well as getting her wormed...worm her again in ten days. I would also get som nutridrench or CMPK down her.
    beth

3. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

Hey that was my guess as well... bad thing is feed stores around here do not have many things to treat a goat. Its really annoying. Ive heard safeguard horse wormer is good for goats at times. its gonna be the easiet thing for him to treat her with, but that doesnt treat for cocci as far as I know. What do you suggest he use to treat for cocci? Im still learning about it to. Hubby is a CVT and thats where we got stuff to treat for it, but this gentleman cant get it.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Calcium would be a priority as well as a good worming with something like Ivermectin (horse paste will do, estimate her weight and then triple the weight to get the dosage amount). Treat with Corid if you think cocci. i have the dosage treatment somewhere I can locate it for you if you need it. Sulmet works too.

Do you have any B Complex? if so I would give her some of that too. If she isnt eating then you need to get her to eat by enticing her with treats and such.

Keep us posted

5. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Thats the first thing I thought was a worm overload. I cant believe this first timer is taking care of three big kids. And i mean these kids are PIGS. Im sure its breaking down her immune system and putting her at first for alot of things. Plus I know he doesnt worm or anything. I asked if he did and he was like "what I have to worm them?" I feel bad for the poor doe which is why I wanna help.

Should he do anything with the kids? I wonder if mom can even handle feeding them shes so weak.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If you cant get corrid, like i cant there is something called sulmet that works for cocci as well. I would worm with ivermectin if you can get it, if not safegaurd, do it again ten days later.
    beth

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I agree, I would give ivermectin. Sulmet is probably the only thing you will get at your grain store. My gain store keeps it with the chicken stuff.

If your grain store doesn't have cmpk then you can buy some Tums and give her those. If she wont eat them then crush them up in water, pull it up and a syringe and give it to her.

8. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

We have ivermetin around alot. That wont be a problem. I actually think I might have one sitting around he could give her. :)

Ok Ill look for one of those for the cocci. I wouldnt be surprised if thats what it is. Seems to be alot of that around. Though we have been lucky. *knocks on wood*

Added:

Ill look for the sulmet if he will treat her. Tums we have around here so thats good.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Before you start treating her for something you really do not know what you are treating for, GET FECAL ON THIS GOAT.

If you do not know what type of worms she has, how do you know that to treat for. To me it sounds like Cocci to me but you need to e sure.

10. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

Getting a fecal wont do any good. He wont pay to have her treated or a fecal to be looked at. My hubby doesnt go back to work til monday and she may not make it that long. Wouldnt doing things like worming her do better then doing nothing?

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If she is that sick and they are not willing to have her looked at I hate to say it but deworming her now is not going to take care of it. You can do a Cocci treatment and see if that helps. She needs to be treated with either Sulfadimax (sp) or Corid.

12. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

Yeah I kind of think they are doing to little to late. And they dont really wanna let me treat her either. They were having to think about letting me worm her. I will do what I can do for her. Shes such a gorgeous Nubian/boer cross. And if she doesnt make it he has three kids to bottle feed. I wish hed take her to the vet.