Nellie has discovered she has teats----what to do---

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Idahodreamer, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Well, Nellie is a really mouthy goat, so I was suspecting this.
    She has discovered she has teats and I caught her leaning against the wall with her head under her leg nibbling on them at least twice today.
    It's cute and funny but it's not gonna stop here. :(
    Anyway I can 'discourage' her from doing this? I was thinking well maybe I could shave it and tape it but . . . :whatgoat:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    taping it would work. unless she chews it off

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    their is specific teat tape -- never tried it but I am told it works better then regular tape :shrug:

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    cone head!
    do it lol

5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Is she in milk? I have heard of goats nursing themselves if they need to be milked. Or is she just being weird?

6. Idahodreamer

She is being her randomly weird self. LOL She's dry.
    I am definitely gonna try taping her then.
    Thanks everyone. :)

7. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Well if she isn't self nursing...I would think the tape just might make her play more. What's the tape going to stop if she's not after milk and is just messing with her teats? There are quite a few no chew stuff out there for dogs that I know people use with their self nursing does. I don't know any off the top of my head, but if you were to use something you'd have to make sure it wouldn't irriate the skin.

8. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    'Bitter Apple' is something that people with dogs use to discourage chewing....

9. Idahodreamer

Gonna try some different things . . . .do goats like vinegar?? I have never given my does any except in some oat mash . . .

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with everyone.... :greengrin: vinegar ..not sure... :ponder:

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the teat tape is for when she is in milk ;)

12. Idahodreamer

That's kinda what I thought too Stacy . . .read about it somewhere . . .
    She is such a ditz! She was nibbling on my finger today while I was checking Daisy with my other hand, and I look up to see working my favorite ring of my finger! She almost had it too. :shocked:
    So I'm gonna try vinegar and hot sauce for her teats for now.

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Ooh, hot sauce? Might that burn her skin? Teats are a bit tender skinned... *Quivers* LOL

I would try something bitter if it were me, maybe that apple stuff first.

14. Idahodreamer

yeah I might have to buy that bitter apple stuff. . .

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Talitha, if she's not in milk then it may just be a "nervous" thing.....or a security thing. Anyhow, a friend of mine has a doe that was constantly pulling on her right teat, it was actually a bit bigger than the left because of it, she was not in milk and had her first kids in December, she has not been doing this at all since she freshened.

I had a doe that was a self nurser...frustrating and irritating to me, all the things mentioned above did not keep her from doing it and she was taking a good 2 cups a day from my milk pail...I had to resort to a handmade elizabethan type collar.

16. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    What about Iodine? It shouldn't harm the skin other than color, and thats temporary. I can't imagine it tasting good.

Evan

17. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    You will find it harder to find iodine now. The FDA has made it nearly impossible to get. The stores that sell it have to pay $1000 and have to have a licence to sell it. Thanks to meth labs. :(

18. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Ya I forgot about that. Most pharmacies still have the heavily diluted stuff though that should be the same.

Evan

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca