The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all...

So, we have a 3 year old Highlander cow named Zenniah. She has the most beautiful red fur and a little black "goatee" on her muzzle.

Zenniah started calving on Mothers' Day. We couldn't get her bred and thought she wasn't pregnant. But...

So Zenniah isn't that big but that was a huge calf. It was too big for her and died coming out (she was also dehydrated (likely a reason for the calf dying) as there is a leak in the water tub. We are working on fixing it, but for now, we need to just make sure the water gets topped off every day). Zenniah now has nerve damage in her backside and her back legs. She can move, but she has to drag herself with her front legs.

The vet gave us a steroid shot for her, and we will be giving that to her tonight and every other day from now until we see improvement. But I worry that there won't be room to improve.

I also keep a full bucket by her. She struggles a bit to get water from it, and she sometimes tips it over, but it's what we can do. I also give her a couple mouthfuls of oats each day, as well as some nibbles of fruit. She also has alfalfa hay available at all times.

I love this cow. When she was born, she was the only one of 3 calves that would eat grain if I was by the grain tub. She's just a little sweetie, and I love her to pieces. I'm working on some bonding techniques (if anybody has ideas on cow bonding practices, please do tell me) as well.

So I want to know if there is a surgery that can get her power back. If there is, please tell me! I'll start a GoFundMe and toss all my dog walking and pet sitting money into the fund to get her that surgery so she can be happy again and move around again.

So, please, tell me if there is a surgery to get her back in shape again, and if there are some good bonding tactics, do tell! I would also love suggestions on what I should do different for her daily care. Should I try brushing her, maybe? I think it might be nice since sometimes she just has to lie in her own filth...

Pray for Zenniah, Goat Spot!

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
Physical therapy may help. Our Dexter had mild nerve pinch in one back leg after calving. I stretched her leg and did range of motion exercises. I massaged the hip and Groin area as well..With in a day she was walking normal. Ask your vet what exercises he suggests.. a sling to get her up can help with blood flow and you working her legs. Maybe contact a chiropractor?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Physical therapy may help. Our Dexter had mild nerve pinch in one back leg after calving. I stretched her leg and did range of motion exercises. I massaged the hip and Groin area as well..With in a day she was walking normal. Ask your vet what exercises he suggests.. a sling to get her up can help with blood flow and you working her legs. Maybe contact a chiropractor?
Our neighbor does dog massages and did a little bit of that for this sweet mama. She seemed to like it, especially since the neighbor was sweet talking her and whatnot. After that, she's been letting me pet her more

I will contact a chiropractor and I am expecting a call from our vet, Dr. Nick, at 4 this afternoon. I'll see what he says

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
B complex is a complete Combined Bs vitamin. Not a steroid. It's over the counter and dose for cows should be on the bottle.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
The B complex is in a bottle. Like the pic I included. You give it injected to the animal. It's painless and can help support her system.

Attachments

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 10 of 10 Posts