Nerves setting in... What if????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, May 4, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Ever since I visited that one breeder, I have been stewing over something she told me. She told me that most the goats here are "dirty." Most of them have CAE, and other diseases here.

That has me worried that maybe my goats have it. I have never tested them, and now I'm even afraid to find out. I don't know how to take a blood sample or where to send it for testing.

I love my goats, and wanted to have milk goats. I wanted to breed them and I had dreams of wethering any bucklings to start my pack/cart goats. Now I feel that whole dream could be dashed by CAE if they have it.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Dont let her get to you. Sometimes people mean well but they get overly passionate and scare people.

If you want to test them then go ahead. But if they arent show goats then I dont see why you have to test them. They will have a wonderful life with or without CAE. Now your wethers arent going to spread CAE because it is spread through the milk from dam to kids. or through blood to blood contact (open wounds on both animals).

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    The way I see it there are three diseases common in dairy goats that you need to worry about: CAE, CL and johnes.

CL is preventable with vaccinations and hygiene, so I'm not too worried about that one.

Johnes PETRIFIES me because basically the only true way to get rid of it is to slaughter/sell your current stock and start from scratch on a new block of land.

CAE I feel is quite manageable and not the end of the world if you get it. It is very manageable by removing and bottle raising kids, the does can be retained until they die, it doesnt ruin your farmland etc.
  4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I understand your concern.

If you are only breeding for yourself and you plan on keeping all the kids, I don't see a reason for you to test. However, if you are breeding and selling the kids to others, in my opinion, the adults should be tested. That is how disease is spread. One being positive, reproducing, infecting kids, kids sold, kids bred, the kids' kids are infected and the cycle continues and grows expedentually.

Where I am, CL is prevelant, and I do vaccinate my herd for CL after clean blood tests are confirmed.

Johnes, I test for also.

If you decide that you want to test, you can mail the bloodwork to WADDL (Washington State Veterinary Medical Lab in Washington State). It is very inexpensive if you (or a friend) draw the blood and mail yourself to WADDL. Now if a vet does it, it is very expensive.

You can look at Fiasco Farms for how to draw blood (draw from the neck). You typically need 1 person to hold and 1 to draw. Most of my girls I can do myself, but I have been doing this for 10 years (drawing blood from animals - wow I just showed my age! LOL!)

Let me know if you have questions.