Nervous about letting someone else take care of my goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Suellen, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I am nervous. Over Thanksgiving for about 5 days we will have a friends wife taking care of the animals. I have met her maybe 5times. I like her and the animals seem to like her too. She works as a vet tech. My goats, chickens and dogs are my children! This is the first time that someone other than my husband and I have taken care of the animals. About 3 years. Other than when I have been sick this will be the first time I will not have any animals to take care of. I feel like I am going thru withdrawal already.
    Suellen :horse:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    have you had her over to see how you feed and the rutine? Goats have a rutine and if she doesnt follow it mass mehem may insue.......speaking from experience.

I tried and tried to get my aunt to come over to see how i fed and milked. She insisted she knew how. I come home to her saying I couldnt catch this one and I couldnt get that one to let her milk down! so I didnt even up milking! :angry: After talking to her I told her she was trying to do it out of order and got them all mixed up and since she never met them (or regularly enough) they didnt know her and they were nervous around her.

So if you havent had her actually doing the feeding I suggest you do and it will make you feel more relaxed knowing that the goats and her have an understanding

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Suellen...I know how you feel! I don't even trust my DH to do as I do! Silly isn't it?

Being sick, I still manage to go out and feed/water, but at 2 different times, I had some minor surgeries that prevented me from walking...so my sister came 25 miles every day to feed/water in the am and hubby did it at night.
    I wrote a list of what, how much and when and where each goat eats their grain. I take hubby thru the steps at least once a week, just in case for some reason I couldn't be home to do it. He knows now that you can't just open the inside gate and expect the girls to share!
    On one of the times I had the surgery, I told hubby, no worries...no babies expected until AFTER I was off crutches and out of the cast....welllll....I don't think there was ever a body that moved so fast on snow with crutches! Hubby got me to the barn and went back and forth to the house to get what I needed for Tilly's twins....needless to say, I am VERY pleased with the way I trained DH.

Have your friend over a few times before you leave. She'll get to know the goaties and your other pets and know the routine, all will be well while you are away, so don't worry too much :hug:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am totally with you - so badly after what happened with me last time that I didn't even bother to let some come up this past weekend while I was gone. I just made sure that there was enough food and water and they were all happy when I got home :)

I agree with Liz - I have a hard time even letting hubby take care of the animals.

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    When we go out of town, we always make whoever is coming over to feed, stop by a couple days before and we show them the routine, as well as write on every feed container of what is what, as well as instructions in writing. My mom and I can't even trust anyone in our family to do them because they would end up dieing. After having different people over about 12 times, we've finally found our finale 'away from home caretakers'.

I think you will atleast be better off than some people since this gal is a vet tech and probably knows her animals a bit more than the average person :wink:

6. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I can surely understand why you are so nervous. My goats are my babies, and I wouldn't let just anybody watch them. But it does sound as if you have someone qualified to do this so that should give you some comfort. And I agree with the others, I would recommend she come over several times and just watch her do everything, and then you could tell her what needs done differently, or you do it this way... then at least the goats will be more used to the new routine they are about to experience. As Stacey said... goats are so set intheir ways and any disruption can cause chaos. On the rare occasion I get my daughters to do the morning chores, and the goats distest it. They prefer my way of doing things, that is what they are used too.
    But do try enjoy your Thanksgiving vacation, I am sure you earned it! :dance: Everyone needs a break away from the daily chores once in a while...

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH I AM RIGHT WITH YOU!!
    I will be leaving for Thanks Giving and I am so worried. I really am not so worried about the does, they go out and eat the pasture, but the bucks and one horse. The horse is like 28 and he has no back teeth. I have to make a mush for him to eat. When you feed him we have to lock him in the stall, and then you have to let him out about a hour later. If we don't the fat horse will come eat all his food. So we have been trying to find someone we can trust to take care of them.

Lucky I do not have any goats due then or I would go totally insane. :hair:

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I completely understand! When I was in the hospital for a couple days, I wrote a very detailed list for hubby. Thank goodness no one needed anything more than feeding! :ROFL:

I have a guilty secret though. I trust NO ONE to care for my special little dog, Luna. (Well except hubby ha.) If we want to go somewhere for longer than Luna can be left alone, she either comes with us or we don't go! Isn't that terrible?

*Smiles happily and packs Luna's bag for going to Thanksgiving at the family's!" :greengrin:

9. Candy

Candy New Member

Just a thought---I seem to worry more about who takes care of my goats than I did with who was babysitting my children :ROFL: Here, it's me or nobody--well, my daughter, Angie does well with the goats in an emergency. Isn't that just horrible? :worried:
    Candy :sun:

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I completely understand! I hate leaving for that reason. We don't get out much as it is. We have to leave too much the next few months.

I am glad we won't be breeding the girls this year on one hand, but sad that we have to wait until 2010 to enjoy goat's milk! I would hate for someone to have to deal with babies while we are gone. It's hard enough to have our little mini "farm" in the care of others, let alone babies to worry about.

A few years ago we forgoed the kennel for our pomeranian, because a member of the family offered to take care of him. That Christmas we got the call that he got out and was hit by a car. That was my baby! We have no children, he was it, and he went with me everywhere. So I completely understand not trusting anyone else to care for your pets.

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i know how you feel.. when i go on trips.. i measure out the pellets and grain in baggies.. pathetic right. sometimes i even measure out the hay and place it by the pens

12. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Thank you all for your suggestions and suport. She has been out. I showed her how to do things. I had her milk the two goats and that made me feel more comforted. The goats didn't seem to mind her milking. She has never milked a goat but she has milked cows. It has been a few years since she had milked a cow but I couldn't tell. She knows how important the order of the goats is. I listed for her who is the queen and the order that follows her. I am not as worried about the dogs. All 3 dogs think she and her husband are great. One thing that I did put it capital letters is that the 2 roosters do not live together and can not be able to get to reach other. That would be messy! We have everything written down. My husband went into great detail and I made adjustments. There is time I may have her out again.
    Thanks
    Suellen

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thats great! I hope it continues to go well. And I hear ya on the roosters, we have to keep some seperate too, or else one would end up in the cooking pot.

14. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I usually stay home to take care of the animals but in the rare event that the whole family must go I write out really detailed intructions and put them by the food and a set in the barn. I am sure this is more that the girls down the road need but it does make me feel better!

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am so with you all on this whole topic! I have only been a goat momma for a few months, but I have two terriers that we just will not leave.....if they can't go, then one of us stays home with them. I have only had to leave the goats once since getting them and my neighbor did OK.....I will have a hard time leaving them again. We have 2 little wethers and 11 hens with 1 rooster and then the 2 terriers that do not know they are D.O.G.'s.....My DH took care of everyone last week while I went out to Seattle to visit my daughter......he did great.....but he does not want to face the wrath when I get home if things were not done my way! HaHa! He says that if I could potty train the boys (wethers) I would have them in the house......he is probably right! We will be gone for the day Saturday and I am already dreading it.....I just always think of the what if's.

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    all of you have said it all.... :) ...I really don't need to add anymore...except I feel for ya... :hug:
    and enjoy your thanksgiving.... :)