Nervous about my first show!!

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by KLSpoultry, May 20, 2009.

1. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    My very first show with my very first registered goat is coming up the 5th and 6th of June. I'm SO NERVOUS! :help:

I have contacted a lady with numerous wins in our region to help me get her ready and show me the ropes the weekend before the show, but I'm worried my doeling isn't prepared enough even for that!

She came from a group of about 150 goats (mommas and babies) all owned by one lady, so not too much 1-on-1 contact. When I first got her she was terrified of me, but now she'll come right up to me, eat from my hand, let me pet her a little and she'll sniff me all over. I've never had a halter or collar on her and I've never attempted to catch her for fear that she'll be scared of me.

My problem is how do I get her ready for show (leading, picking up her feet, etc.) without scaring the dickens out of her?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yes you will be nervous, but it is a lot of fun. we have been doing this for 8 years and we are finally over the nerves. It is all about having fun and having your goats ready.

Now remember if your goat does not do well at the first show or so, it takes time to learn how to get them set, how to shave them and just being relaxed. Remember the more nervous you are the more nervous the goats will be also. They can feel you. Work on getting your goats set up and having them stay in one spot for a bit. That is what is hard for some goats at first. depending on the show, I have seen some shows take 45 minutes if the class is a huge one. The more they move around the more you will get upset, and then the more the goat will get upset.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND MORE PRACTICE.

Good luck. I hope you do great and more then that I hope you have fun. :leap:

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    are you and Jacque (Dover Farms) going to the same show??