Nervous Nubian does

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by siouxray, Aug 1, 2009.

1. siouxray

siouxray New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    I recently acquired 2 2 year old Nubian does (traded my Boer does for them) that are awful flighty. They said they were a little flighty as they have never freshened & not really been worked with. These girls were the last of their Nubian herd. They are starting to settle down a little bit & I'm really hoping that once they are bred & I start milking them, they'll really come around. But, in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas to help them settle in more? My others seem to be getting sick of their antics (I know I'm sick of them bolting out the barn door!) :). Thanks - Jenn

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    treats..just go sit in there with treats. worked to calm down two wild chasmeres, a 1 year old buck, who'd never been touched.

3. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I heard raisins are the best..I would give it a try... :greengrin:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Best way would be to have them together but separate from your herd, this way when you go and sit with them with food, animal crackers, raisens, cheerios, the rest won't mob you and you have the advantage of 1 on 1 time with the new girls, speak softly, don't grab for them when they do get curious about the goodies, instead, wait til they are comfortable with you and scratch their chins while they root in your hand. It takes time to earn an animals trust, be patient, they will come around.

BTW....WELCOME :wave:

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I've found the way to a goat's heart is first through treats, then through scratches.

Slow and steady and you'll get there! Welcome to TGS!

6. siouxray

siouxray New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Thank you very much for the tips & the welcome!! I'll start trying treats asap. The one is better than the other - at least she comes right up to me but runs away if I move at all. They're very food oriented, too (seems more so than some of the others :) ) so hopefully they'll come around soon. They're BIG girls, too! I'm used to my Alpines :).

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    my alpines love the horse treats from tractor supply. i agree that i would seperate them from the rest to try to get them to come to you. it just takes a lot of time & patience

8. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I vote for treats too, mine love granola bars :oops:

Although I must admit that my nubians are also kind of air-headed sometimes. But that's what makes them so lovable :love:

9. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I keep whole corn in my pocket if I have new shy goats. Doesn't take too long after they get the first taste till they are buddy buddy.