Nervous....we are getting a LGD for our herd/flock

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by logansmommy7, Jul 4, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Ok-we went to visit the LGD I had heard about through craigslist. She is a 1 year old Maremma/GP LGD. She has been with the current family since she was four months old, very serious about her job and takes GREAT care of their goats. BUT-she has never been in with chickens. We plan to make a pen inside the goat pen for her to stay for a while until we can trust her to be out. Any tips on training her? This particular dog is what she is, a true LGD, doesn't excessively bark, is not a 'pet' per say, but is not aggressive and mean towards people, just a bit on the shy side towards people. She has never been mean to children, just kind of walks away when they get in her space more than she likes. I have to admit-I'm a little nervous, but her current owners state they have NEVER had a problem with her and since she came-no predators, they just don't feel they need her for their herd anymore and their kids had wanted a big play dog and she just isn't it-she is all about guarding her goats. We'll see how it goes.... :pray: that she doesn't eat my chickens....I think we will just let the integration take time and maybe she will see that the chickens are to be guarded too....

2. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I know how you feel. When we were on our way home with our LGD I kept thinking about our new doeling (1 week old) and wondering if I was doing the right thing. We spent so much time making sure dogs couldn't get into our pasture, and now I was about to stick one in there on purpose! Today she was licking the baby goat and loving on her. She even guards them from my son (7) who is obnoxious and loves to skip through the pasture like a wild animal. She runs along side him, not mean, and keeps herself between the goats and this crazy kid. :p
    I had to teach ours not to go out the gate and leave the pasture behind me. It took one time of a firm "no" and slapping my hands together. She backed away and now won't go near the gate. They just don't seem to have any aggressiveness in them at all, unlike my other big dogs who would love to jump on people and bark at every animal even if they wouldn't hurt them. I think if you teach your girl not to mess with the chickens she wont. I have been pleasantly surprised by the intelligence of these dogs, and within two days my dog-aggressive girls are now laying down and sleeping within five feet of the LGD.

3. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    My Pyrs sleep in the chicken coops. When they were very young I had to work on not playing with the birds, now I don't have any problem with it. Most of my poultry are free ranged.

4. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I'm 'cautiously optimistic' but still nervous...we just won't know until we try. We've got our set up settled to get her here and integrated slowly....hopefully that will be key....praying for success....

5. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    She will learn to leave the chickens alone, it just takes time and training. Remember tho that at a year old, she is still a pup. These dogs really aren't mature until well into thier 2nd year, sometimes more towards a 3 year old. Mine is two and will still act like a pup! But, when it is time to protect ...she is on the job! I find that mine never chased anything, just barked her fool head off.

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Well, Grumpy is now with the herd. He is much happier. :p For the first time since we've had him, his tail is up and he's playing with his toys. :leap: He has been watching everyone and has even been walking the fence line. When he gets sleepy, he goes back behind the house and goes into his yard to take a nap. When I looked out my bathroom window last night, he was asleep on the back side of the trough with the goats on the other side. He keeps a close eye on the chickens but so far he just keeps walking. He is more curious with the chicks because they are so quick. We may have to keep them locked up til they grow some more. I'm so glad he seems happier. He knows his name now too. He even came to the back door to eat breakfast when I called him which was a first. I'm praying he'll continue to learn and be a good protector. :pray:

Gina

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds really promising.. :wink: ...yes... I agree....keep the baby chickens away form him....if he is showing excitement around them......... praying... it continues to go well.... :hug: :pray:

8. tabetha

tabetha New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    So Cal
    What does LGD stand for? forgive me, I'm new!

9. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    That's okay, Tabetha, we're all here to learn. LGD means "livestock guardian dog." There are certain breeds of dogs that are specifically bred and trained to protect livestock. They aren't really pets, they're working members of the flock - they live with the animals full-time. Maremmas, Great Pyrenees, Anatolians - those are just some of the breeds that work well as goat guardians...

So, Hunter, did you bring the dog home yet?

-Tina