The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a rabbit due to have babies Saturday its really warm here still and I can't remember if I should put a little hay in the nest box or just leave it be and the mamas fur be enough with the heat and all its been several years since I raised rabbits so I can't remember and don't want to mess it up

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok ill put some hay in there i havent gota ant straw yet !! And no i don't have a fan in there we've been getting a good breeze lately so they don't seem to be getting too hot we do put frozen ice bottles in there cage sometimes when it's real hot

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
We just had a littler born. Last week.. We put hay in the box, mamma but her fur in, but she moves the fur when they get to hot and covers them back up at night :)
I think the hay would make it a but more comfy and help absorb the urine ;)

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Actually JOY, believe it or not, but the babies do that themselves. :) I have watched. All the mom does is feed them, she doesn't cover them up after they are born or mess with anything else. My rabbit kindled in front of me, and just left after the last one popped out. Then they dug under the fur to keep themselves warm. And then they move to the top of the nest if it gets warm.

I would bring them inside, honestly. Kits are SO suseptible to heat. I once bought the rest of a 9 kit litter, 4 of them had died from heat.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Huh.. Interesting.. The few times we have watched a doe give birth, she covered them up afterwards...
And we had always been told it was the mother that did that... We have kits that will climb to the end out of the hair, but that is all I have seen..
Interesting.. Learn something new every day :)

·
2,751 Posts
Well I guess I did too! ROFL (I had to take my turn rolling on the floor)

Well what I am certain of is that they move themselves up and down from how hot/cold it is.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well one is 2 days past due and my other Dow was due today they haven't even pulled fur ;-(

·
2,751 Posts
I find it funny when people say "hasn't even pulled fur" because usually, a doe will pull fur RIGHT before she kindles. So you just gotta be patient. :) Good luck. My first doe kindled on day 34, I was a mess... LOL

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I find it funny when people say "hasn't even pulled fur" because usually, a doe will pull fur RIGHT before she kindles. So you just gotta be patient. :) Good luck. My first doe kindled on day 34, I was a mess... LOL
Not always ;) we have had does pull fur up to a week ahead of time.. They will make nests and tear them apart and start over... I find it is mostly my first time mommas that do that though..

·
2,751 Posts
Not always ;) we have had does pull fur up to a week ahead of time.. They will make nests and tear them apart and start over... I find it is mostly my first time mommas that do that though..
That's why I said "usually". :) They usually do it right before. Almost always... I found it SO freaky yours did it so early. :eek:

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Heheh! :D I have weird rabbits :) what can I say!? They take after me ;) :D :ROFL:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well were on day 34 for one doe and day 32 for the other I'm begins g to believe they ain't gonna have babies lol this was there first breeding so mayby they Diddnt take

·
2,751 Posts
Was it the same buck? You still have a chance, I read the other day that a doe kindled on day 41. ;) The buck may very well have been sterile.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No they were bred by differnt bucks but they are proven bucks so mayby they just gna make me wait !!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In arkansas so yes very hot here !!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts