Neuter gone bad?! Help???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Luvmygoats11, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Luvmygoats11

Luvmygoats11 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lexington, SC
    I have never tried to neuter my goats myself but i have been doing alot of research and decided to buy a burdizzo to neauter one of my 7 wk old boer cross bucklings. I bought the tool from jeffers.com and tehre is an example on fias co farms website...unfortunately it is the one with the gaps on the ends and not one that is straight across (the preffered one to use). We were about to open the clamp and at the last second the little guy kicked and pulled himself out and cut his "area" pretty deep. I spray an antibacterial wound spray on him and he seems to be doing fine but needless to say we did not do the otehr side...does anyone have any suggestions, opinions or advice...i feel so bad for him :?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is it so deep... that you think he should have a skin graft?

If it is severely deep... I'd get a vet involved...

has he had his CD&T shot or a tetnus shot?

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I agree and...what do you mean...the other side? I'm a little bit confused.

As long as he doesn't seem to be in pain then just make sure the area stays clean and he should be ok unless it's like a big, deep cut as Pam is saying. You just want to make sure it's healing and not getting infected. But if it's to much to handle then have a vet take a look.

4. Luvmygoats11

Luvmygoats11 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lexington, SC
    its kind of hard to tell...there was ultimately very little bleeding and doesnt seem to be any swelling...he is eating and moving around fine...he has not been vaccinated...i generally dont vaccinate

5. Luvmygoats11

Luvmygoats11 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lexington, SC
    Its deep but there was barely any bleeding? He has not been vaccinated i typically dont vaccinate. He is eating and moving fine, its clean and there doesnt seem to be any swelling...
    using thr burdizzo you clamp above one testicle and then the other, we did everything right he just jerked when he kicked as we were opening the tool back up and teh skin slip through the gap on the edge and cut him pretty good...its kind of hard to explain without seeing the tool

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think I know what you mean... you were able to crush the cord but when he jumped he "skinned" himself? I've never used it but have seen it used on bull calves...Right now I think it would be best to get the other side crimped, hold him so he can't do a repeat of the kicking, the longer you wait to fully wether him the harder it may be due to scar tissue developing with the injury. The open area will need to be kept clean, if you don't normally vaccinate it's your choice as to wether you want to give him a tetanus antitoxin injection. If theres no infection as it heals, he should be fine. IF infection does occur, a vet call would be advised as he could contract tetanus and tetanus does cause a very painful suffering before death.

7. Luvmygoats11

Luvmygoats11 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lexington, SC
    Liz,
    Yes although its deeper than just scinned...its a pretty good gash but like i said it seems to be clean, not bleeding or swollen and he doesnt seem to be in pain...i will have someone help me get the otehr side done...i was trying to hold him while my husband used the tool and ive been sick so i guess i was too weak to hold him good enough and he wiggled out...we both felt so bad....im pretty positive the side that we did is crimped but now its just getting the otehr side done...will a feed store cary the tetnus shot that i can give myself? I will go ahead and give him a tetnus if i can get the vaccine...where is the best place to inject? i have horses and do my vaccines myself but i just have never done the goats? how often should the tenus be done? If i can get a vial i may go ahead and do them all

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    CD& T with tetnus... is a good vaccine to give... it also protects them from over eating disease....you can get it from your feed store ... you may be able to get the straight tetnus shot from there as well....call around and see if they have it....with the CD&T..it is 2 cc's no matter age ...under skin...at the armpit area... if they never had it before .....you give it and then 21 to 28 days later ....give a booster shot...it is good for 1 year thereafter....I always used the CD& T with tetnus in it and never just gave the straight tetnus... so.... I don't know what to say on that product....... but I know alot of people do give it to de-nutt...ect... I just use the CD&T all in 1..

9. Luvmygoats11

Luvmygoats11 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lexington, SC
    Thanks for that info...ill be sending my hubby to the feedstore tomorrow to get the vaccine....i believe the one time i had my vet whether a buckling before i had him give that vaccine....but i had just never given it...ill go ahead and get a vial and do all of my goats at once...im so glad i found this forum...ive had goats for a while but you never stop learning and i dont know anyone around here with much goat experience at all so ive been on my own all these years....never had any trouble but then again ive never tried to whether myself before either!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are welcome.....and we are very happy to help.....if you have any more questions... please.... don't hesitate to ask..... :thumb: We all learn new things by trial and error...believe me... it isn't easy ....when things don't go quite ...the way it was suppose to..... :doh: :help: ....but....... it is a learning process...and each time.... it gets easier and better...as we go along....I know you feel bad... :( but....we all understand.....and have been there :hug: