neutering a male

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by 2goatjo, Jul 28, 2008.

1. 2goatjo

2goatjo New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I would like to have my pygmy neutered in the future. Can they become too old to have the surgery done? He is around a year old now and i would like one birthing from his mate.

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    You can have him castrated at any age. I don't castrate mine myself I let my vet do it, I do band when they are babies though without a problem. It takes about 30 days for the hormones to get out of his body and some of them can actually still fertilize an egg during that time period so just remember that you need to keep him separate for that amount of time.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A vet would be better suited to castrate at that age, I also band kids but haven't put much thot into doing a bigger boy on my own...and as K-RO said, they can still be fertile up to a month after the procedure, so after you have "used" him be sure to still keep the doe separate as he can still breed her within that time frame.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    At that age, PLEASE see the vet to have it done. I had a vet do mine at 7 months.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    BTW....Welcome from SW PA! :greengrin:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave:

as the others have said it is best for a vet to do it unless you know someone who does the burdizzo method.

7. 2goatjo

2goatjo New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I wouldnt think of doing it myself. The vet would definally do all the vet duties they need. THey fit in a dog carrier so no problem getting them to the vet. Of course catching them is another thing.