The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have recently relocated our farm to an area with more green than I though possible in Southern New Mexico & it seems my goats have an addiction to what I have figured out is an Ephedra Plant..... I found a couple lists saying Ephedra was OK for them in reasonable amounts, so I left the plants...

BUT.... our milk all of a sudden tastes like crap! Our water isn't as tasty here, seems to have some Iron in it so I'm trying to figure out if its the plants or the water making the milk undrinkable....

·
Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would have to keep them away from the plants and see what happens.
i think they have lost their minds.... They never once tried to escape before we moved. They had a decent 3 sided barn & 1/4 acre pen. Now they have a great barn & almost 3/4 of an acre pen & they escape at ;east every other day to get some of that plant!

I guess what I was hoping for was experience with Heavy iron content water.. Perhaps I will repost simply asking that :doh:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well, it's addicting to people why not goats. ephedra is herbal plant used for allergies and diet pills but it's illegal to sell it because you can make speed from it. are your goats losing weight? you said they are breaking out to get to it. as you said lost their minds!! maybe their milk is a diet drug!! does it taste like iron or cold medicine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts