The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a seven month old Nubian doeling that has had diarrhea for almost 3 weeks. I took a stool sample to the vet when she first started with diarrhea which showed no sign of worms and minimal coccidia, which they said was normal for a goat. They had me start her on Corid for five days as a precaution. That didn’t make any difference, so I wormed her just in case, but she still had diarrhea. She’s been acting completely normal bouncing around and eating with a normal temperature. I took another stool sample in and they said they found nothing, but changed her over to Albon. She has one day left of her Albon treatment and still has diarrhea. She was in with the rest of the herd when this all started (separated now) and no one else has had any diarrhea at all. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Sorry your little one is struggling. You have more experience with goats than I do, so I don’t know if I’ll be much help. Since her temperature, eating, and activity are all normal, the only thing I can think is maybe try giving her probiotics and tummy tamer for a while to see if maybe she just needs some time to get her gut health back on track. Hopefully people much wiser than me will help you out. I hope you can get this all figured out soon so she can be back with the herd.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great advice! I have been giving Probios for about a week now. I also gave a few days of Biosponge, which slowed the diarrhea, but I only had a little left and the vet can’t get it right now due to back order

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
What color is the poop? This time of year with lots of fresh greens sure can cause issue.
I have had success with biosponge in mild situations but chronic issues didn't seem to resolve. Spectoguard is great if bacterial issue is the cause.
Some natural interventions are oak leaves, pine, cedar, blackberry vines/or root tea, tummy tamer (recipe to follow) no grain, hay and some alfalfa.

Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Slippery elm
Cinnamon
ACV
Molasses
20-30cc water
Mix and blend in a clove or two of fresh raw garlic..drench this blend 3-4 times a day until poop begins to firm. Then cut to 2 times a day. Then once until she poops berries.

Reactions: FizzyGoats

·
Registered
874 Posts
Just thinking outside the box. I live in central Texas. We have a weed we call goat weeds. I think it's properly called wooly croton or dove weed. For some reason every year, I will have one or two bucklings that take a liking to it and will eat it. It is poisonous to them if consumed in large amounts. My understanding is normally the goats will leave them alone, but when they get a taste for them, it's like a drug and they get addicted. (I call them my little dope heads) The first sign is diarrhea. They will typically not run a fever and their famacha will be fine, but when I see the leaves missing from the weeds, I know what the problem is. This time of year, the goat weeds are growing abundantly. The goat must be isolated from the weeds, and then I shred them to get rid of them. I treat the goat with kaolin pectin, probiotics, and a little tlc. Ususally they rebound within a couple of weeks, however, if the diarrhea is allowed to continue, their condition will get worse. Like I said, just a thought since the fecal turned out ok and she's not running a fever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts