Never seen anything like this before

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Feb 18, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Boss calls me yesterday says we have a urinary calculi case in one of the wethers, he's down in the sick bay.

Routine enough procedure, you just exteriorise the penis and cut off the urethral process, which is usually where the calculi is lodged, massage the bladder for a while then the little guy pees and all is good.

Well, I started exteriorising the penis and the tip of it was all bloody and mangled. I got more of it out, and more and I began to realise that the whole penis is bloody, rotting and basically gangrenous (sp?).

In between his legs, where the scrotum would be if he was still intact, there was a lup about the size of my fist. So thats pretty big when you are talking about a 4 mth old wether. At first I chalked it up to a testicle, whoever banded him did it wrong and missed a stone. Buuuut, probing around a little more I realised that 'lump' is actually the penis ...

So I figure that there's no way he's gonna recover from this, gave him a pain jab and antibiotics, and left him to it. He's still eating which is weird, so I gave him a good last meal.

Will post pics once he dies and I do an autopsy. I'm very interested to see what that lump looks like.

But I'm puzzled as to what would mangle a penis like that?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Do goats chew on painful spots like dogs do? If so he may have chewed on it trying to releave the pain.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh gosh, that sounds really weird. I've never heard of anything like that. Yeah, definately get some pictures for us...that's just so weird, but interesting. At least the poor little thing doesn't have to suffer anymore.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    no chewing on it ... there's no external damage its all internal

RA - its kindof like a typical calculi lesion but its not just one bit, its the whole penis ... very weird, havent got the phone call yet to open him up so it looks like he's still hanging in there

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow....how strange is that .... :shocked:

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, the version of the book I have has a picture of a typical one and one where it blew out farther up the penis.

I'm guessing the penis just blew out at several points, but why? :shrug: Maybe he has multiple stones in there and what you are feeling is just swelling?

I agree he isn't going to make it. :sigh:

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yes, I'm thinking maybe its just ruptured all the way along. I'm am looking forward to opening him up.

Just playing the waiting game now, waiting on him to pass. He is still happy which is amazing. Animals are tough little buggers.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

keren have you found out anything about this boy? Im curious to know what was wrong.
    beth

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well, he's still hanging in there so I havent done the autopsy yet lol

Knowing my luck he will die while I'm off at Canberra show

11. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm sorry for the poor boy - I'm glad it doesn't sound like he's in terrible pain. I'm curious why you haven't put him down to save him from any pain since you know he isn't going to make it?

Hopefully he'll be able to teach you something new that will help in with future boy goat problems.

12. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Any chance it's pizzle rot? Shelly

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow....It is amazing ...he is still hanging on....he can't be comfortable... :(

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree. I can not believe he has not been put down, unless you think there is any way of saving him. Does he have a temp? Maybe ist is just a really bad infection and it could be treated with antibiotics. Of cource I am not there and iz really have no idea what it really looks like.

Good Luck.

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'm well acquainted with pizzle rot from the angoras (they tend to be prone to it from all the hair) and this isnt pizzle rot.

The regulations in our country make it difficult for primary producers to euthanase animals. Here are the options for this guy:

1. Vet visit out to the farm to inject with phenobarb - cost $200 for the transport and $150 for the euthanasiate, for a wether who is worth $25 (if he was alive)

2. Bullet - firearm regulations are so stringent and we have to be licensed to own and use a gun, which I am not (cost prohibitive plus I'm not real sure I want a gun)

3. Captive bolt - again, cost prohibitive to get licensed and actually buy the device.

4. Cut throat - yes, I could do it but I've done it before and I dont feel it is all that humane. At this point he is still eating, drinking and walking around happily enough. Yes, he must be in pain but his behaviour does not show his welfare to have been compromised.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry you have to go through that..... :( :hug: