never thought this would happen

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Aug 13, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I sell goats for meat all the time.

But earlier this spring I got two free goats, they needed some help (underweight, wormy, nasty coats).. both wethers. I never thought I'd become this attached!
    both are dairy crosses about 3 years old, They're sold now and the guy is here and just killed the first one..the other is sleeping in the shed. At least I know they went fast. These guys are the best at butchering goats, clean and they can start-finish in less than 20 minutes.

These two goats are SO SWEET. I let them out during the day and they walk about and pick grass and lay underneath the lean to with the hay when it's raining.. (so they're under the lean to most of the day...sigh) Very gentle, quiet.. but nobody wanted them as pets..and they just bought me 6 months worth of hay.. so I can't say they were just hayburners.

who would have thought the meat goat breeder would fall for these two butt ugly goats! :tears:

2. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    They had a humane, caring, considerate and loving home with you... and a humane end. You can't always say that about animals that are crammed into feed lots and mass slaughtered. Thats the way I have to look at it anyway. :(

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So true! Those boys had the best life they ever could have hoped for Katrina, and they made it possible for your others to have that very same life! :hug:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    definitely!

They were much loved brats. :) pretty much all they did all day was lay around the yard, harass the poor chickens and sleep...lol tough life??

here's a picture of the brown one who I called Igor..from about an hour ago.

lol...with the remains of the calf manna bag..empty

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Awww I am so sorry. Unfortunately it happens, and you did the best for them you possibly could, so they went out with having good lives in the end.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Sounds like they had an awesome life and a very humane, quick death. I can't even imagine how hard it must be to be a meat goat breeder and becoming attached to particular goats. That must be hard.

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    LOL! That pictures hilarious!
    I guess when we raise animals for consumption it's just something you get used to. There always seems to be that one animal that tugs at your heartstrings though...but in the end you did right by them and gave them a peaceful/humane death.

I honestly think I'll have more of a problem getting attached to milk goats then getting attached to meat goats. With the meat goats they don't stay for very long. With milk goats you could ultimately have them for 10+ years.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah..I've never had a problem before. until today.. I'm mean, they were so calm. I handed the guy the goat's lead and they followed him so nicely up to the slaughter area.. kind of sad to see a goat prancing along to where he'll be slaughtered..LOL
    anyway. I'm over it..just thought it was weird that I felt that way..i do have my favorite goats..could never butcher my does or Rush (heavens no!!)

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH boy. You did give them a great life while you had them. I just cry reading this. I just do not get how people can do that.

I am not saying anything to anyone that it is bad, please do not get this wrong, I just would die myself, and to have them do it on your property? WOW.

10. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Goats are so social and if you let them tap into your heart it makes it very hard to send them to slaughter. The only way i can cope with goats that are raised for slaughter is to keep them in one pasture, feed them and care for them but I do not give them names or socialize with them. My other goats I would not be able to have them butchered. A farmer friend of mine gives his meat goats names like BBQ, shish kabob, chops. Kind of funny but he is a good humane meat goat farmer and it is his business of raising goats for meat. Your heart is in the right place ...God Bless

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know Katrina....they are sweet...and it is so hard....each time.... :(

I myself....don't have the heart to do the killing........so ...we had a butcher come out to take care of it ...... we go in the house and not watch....the butcher humanly kills...then... takes the carcass's to his freezer to hang..... We only did this a couple of times and stopped now....it is to hard..... :( :hug:

12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Aww why do the "butt ugly" ones do that to us!?

But you gotta do what you gotta do. Personally I have an easier time when I know they are going for meat than selling a couple of does as breeding stock if I dont know the customer.
    A few yrs ago sold a ready to breed pair. Visited them they had just kidded & were in terrible condition. This person knows goats but was feeding crappy local hay.
    When they left here they were in prime condition had lots of muscle on them. :(

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Yeah. they had a quick end.

I stayed out there when the first one was killed, then left it to them and I finished up other things outside. then ran inside when it started to downpour again! then I got onto TGS and goofed around while they finished and lead the next one over. I like being able to watch I guess. these guys are awesome at butchering.