New and need advice...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by conors, May 18, 2010.

1. conors

conors New Member

May 17, 2010
    Hi :wave:
    Just joined up, and im looking to purchase some goats.
    So far after a bit of research the only thing im worried about is fencing.
    I work on an open farm and he has lots of goats... And after a while i just really want one..I think they are awesome and have such great wee characters!
    The ones im looking for are nubian or mabye some breed of pygmy :shades:
    So my questions :)
    Nubians-
    What would be a good space for them?
    And the main question what is the best fencing?
    And whats the best fecncing for pygmy goats and a good space for them?
    If any of use have pics of your fencing could u post a link? It would be much appreciated
    Thanks.... :thumbup:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well first of all, I would like to say welcome. :wave: Very glad you are here with us.

As for the goats, I know it really depends on a lot of things. I know some people that have what I would say way to small of a place for the goats but they have lots of "toys" for them. Make sure they have room to run and play and keep the happy. I do not have dairy goats, but I any good sturdy fencing I would think would be great, as for the Pygmy goats, you have to make sure the fencing is tight enough for them not to slip out of it, they are small and can get out of a lot of very small spaces.

Now I am sure the real Dairy goat experts will chime in here and same with the Pygmy goats.

Just to remind you they have to have a friend so always think in more then one, think of it as double the fun. :leap:

3. conors

conors New Member

May 17, 2010
    Thanks
    Well what about electric fencing, sheep wire??

And yes i will be getting 2....... :thumb:

4. conors

conors New Member

May 17, 2010
    What about if i get 2 pygmy's and i use sheep wire and then chicken wire attached to that so they don't squeese through? Or would they be able to jump that?

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A few 16x 4 cattle panels secured to T-Posts will work, if you just want to pen them and keep them on a "dry lot" a 48x 64 pen would be room enough. The sheep fence would work too...though be sure if you choose to keep goats with horns that they cannot get their heads stuck. I do have electric fence pastures run for my goaties...they have goat panel pens and the pasture is for browsing, closed in at night for protection.
    Mine are too bottom heavy to jump fences so I have 4 foot high pens and 2 foot high electric.

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We use the field fencing for our boers. I definitely agree if you decide to use field fencing, make sure the spaces aren't too big so they can get their heads out, or if you do they could get their horns stuck! OR make sure it's big enough they can get their heads in and out easily but can't climb through it.
    Our girls have gottent heir horns stuck 3x - each doe has gotten stuck once.... nothing drastic thankfully! But I am not overly concerned since they really don't stick their heads out very often.

You can get 330ft. of field fencing for around $150 at Lowe's. I know they had a couple of sizes, some with the wide spaces <which my husband bought>, and some with smaller ones <we have some of this up on our property as well - and it's really good stuff>.
    Our fencing needs to be tightened eventually by the end of the year, but it's strong enoug they can't plow it down by standing on it. I do worry about the buck when he gets bigger, so when we make a buck pen, we'll use something stronger.

7. conors

conors New Member

May 17, 2010
    I think i might go for the sheep wire or electric fencing....
    depending on what goat i get....
    Thanks for your input guys....

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Welcome. :) So far we like the "no-climb" fence for goats. The holes are small enough the pygmy's can only get their noses through. I tried the field fencing and they can turn just right and pop their head out then can't figure out how to get it back in. :sigh: Valentine is the worst one. Dumb as a rock. She will ride the short trailer to the new land. :laugh:

Gina