New arrivals at the ranch

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by kelebek, Jun 14, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    This morning has been a beautiful day - and it could not have been better! We welcomed our first American Blackbelly lambs to the ranch!

At 6:30 am I went out to feed the animals and didn't even notice until about 20 minutes into feeding there were some little tiny legs that were amongst the bigger sheep legs. I looked around - and there is was - a tiny little :girl: ! :leap: :leap: She is very dark in color with a round circle of white on the top of her head. So she came over, I picked her up and petted her and checked to see the gender. I put her back down, called hubby (he is on his way to town to take our daughter to ACT testing) and told him we had a little one!

I then went about feeding, went to get the camera - cause you know we have to have lots of pics - and went back out to find somehow someway - I never saw the second lamb!!! We had twins! So after chasing mom around the 3 acres, hiding behind trees, trying to get a picture (this had to look hilarious if anyone was watching) I knelt down (with 5 goats behind me bleating for my attention) and the twins walked over. The second one is gorgeous! this one is dark, but not as dark as the first with a white jagged line going down her nose, reminds me of my Mooners! I pick it up - :girl: !!! So twin girls! I am so excited.

I looked at my reservation list, and even though this person is not 1st in line for reservation, I am going to offer them to a lady that wants a pair for her petting zoo (she also wants a pair of kids too!)

Anyway, enjoy the pics! They are not the best - but mom is W-I-L-D! and since they were just born - it was not easy to get them~

Allison

First picture of the twins with mom
    [​IMG]

Another - this is when I was sneaking through the trees - LOL!
    [​IMG]

Close up of the original
    [​IMG]

Meeting Tux the barn cat!
    [​IMG]

Tux thinks there might be some colostrum left on the lips - :ROFL:
    [​IMG]

2nd born
    [​IMG]

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Congrats!!! they are adorable!! :stars:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, they will definately be an asset to your breeding program! Look at those legs! My goodness...the only lambs I've ever seen here have been fluffy curly lil' things..black bellied lambs look alot like "kids"....hope mom lets you handle them to gentle them :stars:

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    cute little one although they really look pretty big- congrats on the hassle free deliveries.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    These two little girls I think will be put up for sale. I have a lady who has a clown business with property and has people rent her land and has animals walking around and what not - and she wants two lambs and two kids for her petting zoo. So I might let them go there.

They do look big in the pics, but the one of them by my cat is deceitful. That cat is about 1/2 the size of a normal cat. He is tiny. And the lambs are smaller then him.

I have gone out there a couple times to check on them, and mom is real nervous, but if you bend down the babies will walk over to you. The one with the white dot on her head - she will walk up with no problem. You pic her up and pet her and when you put her down she now thinks you are her new momma! LOL! You have to actually leave the pen and then her mom will come get her and take her back to the herd. It is cute. I am going to put them in the stall in a couple days with mom and that way I can start taming out the babies more - but I want them to get all the colustrum first.