New arrivals this afternoon ...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, May 31, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    You remember how I was going to purchase four wether kids from work, to put on feed for a carcass competition in September?

Well, plans have changed slightly.

My boss just called me, and asked would I like four baby bucks to put on the bottle?

Well, I'm not gonna say no!

The carcass comp has classes for:

light capretto
    heavy capretto
    lightweight wether
    middleweight wether
    heavyweight wether
    heavy export wether

So these guys will probably go into the heavy capretto. The competition calls for a pen of three, so the fourth one will probably go into my freezer. Or the other alternative is, the capretto class they can be intact, so I will definitely keep them intact so they grow faster, and then there is the possibility that the fourth one that doesnt go in the carcass comp may stay a buck. We will see.

They are out of the show does, so they are possibly the very best buck kids I could get from work! They are all fullblood boers, as opposed to the other group I would have been picking from there are some fullbloods and some crossbreds.

I will post pics later this evening or afternoon.

One is a triplet - the doe just isnt quite keeping up with all three
    One is a twin - the doe is a bit crook and leaving her with just one should help her out
    One is a twin - and has a parrot mouth
    One is a single - but the mother looks awful, not sure quite what is wrong with her, and think he's a little brain damaged - only takes small amounts of milk very often

All but the parrot mouth are already trained to the bottle. The only dicey one is that brain damaged kid. The first two are huge strapping lovely bucks. The single is a pretty small weedy guy and I havent seen the parrot mouth. Hopefully I can get three even in type by September - because they have to be entered as a group of three.

:leap: I'm excited! My boss is the best, I love her!

*Gulp* I'm gonna have 10 bottle babies!

[​IMG]

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    also just wanted to add ...

WAAHOOOOO!

They FINALLY put the schedule and entry forms online

:leap: :dance: :stars: :wahoo:

sorry :oops: I'm a little excited. This is my favourite show of all of them, all year

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    And now I want to add GRRRRR!

:angry: :veryangry: [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

they've taken Angoras off the schedule!

needless to say I am at this very moment composing an email ...

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    lol this is like a little conversation with myself :greengrin: :oops:

So good news and bad news. I went to get my four little boys and only ended up with three. Number four, the fiddly single kid, layed down with his head between the gate and the fence, his mum stood up on the fence with her front feet, it moved a bit and crushed his windpipe between the fence and the gate :tears: Poor baby

Such a shock and just a freak accident. I literally walked past and he squarked at me, then 10 seconds later I walked back and he was dead :sigh:

This was just after I'd arrived out there, before I'd even brought them home.

The three other boys rode on the floor of my truck on the passenger seat, and arrived home and I bedded them down in a snuggly bed of straw. The two already trained to the bottle took 150ml each when I got home (8pm), then another 50ml each at the night feed (10pm). The other one has never had a bottle before and was still with his mum till I got him, so I only fed him at 10pm and he took 100ml - I was surprised, I didnt think he'd suck at all till morning.

Photos tomorrow at some point, too dark by the time I got home today. I'm heading into town bright and early in the morning, need more milk replacer, and more teats! lol and more different coloured collars cos mum cant tell them all apart! lol ear tags might be a good idea ...

5. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    I feel for you hun. I had 11 babis at one time on a bottle going though almost a gallon and a half of milk replacer. I think that is where I got the extra grey hair that I have to die now.

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Congrats! Sorry about the little one... :sigh:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow keren ....that is really something.........congrats on all the good..... :leap:

I am so sorry about your loss .... :hug:

where did you get those smiley's....... they are hilarious........it would be neat ...to be able to add those... to our board of smileys ... :ROFL:

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    you can get the smileys from anywhere ... most of the time I just use google images.

find the smiley you like, then just post it like you do a picture with the IMG tags around it. For ease you can save the smiley to your desktop, then upload to photobucket and that way they are always handy.

lol Corax, I have 9 at the moment, more lambs are likely to arrive at some point :shocked: its a bit crazy here at the moment. everything smells like milk and baby poo lol

We are going through 8L (2.1 gallons) of milk per day ... :shocked: the lambs are about at full feeds but the kiddos are just starting, I will build them up slowly

These boys will be a bit different to most of my bottle babies because I normally wean at 8 weeks, these guys will be fed for 4 months *gasp* so they qualify as capretto for the carcass comp

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW!

You are certainly going to have your hands full!

Hoping those boys grow fast....and they will with being on milk til16 weeks, sorry the other passed, freak accident for sure :hug:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL ....those are cool..........thanks for the info keren..... :wink: :greengrin: