New Auction doelings + question about one

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nubiansrus, May 31, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Fell in love with these two at the livestock/tack auction. They seem to be sisters to me. Seem very bonded and though one as more white they are the same color, which I havent seen before. [Cant tell in some of the pics but they are like a buckskin color, for those with horses lol] Wish I knew who mom and dad were. Love the color on them. Then I got the black and white girl cause she was so scared, and seems to have worms or something. Poor girl... [Editted to add]. Oh forgot also... what breed do you think they are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the girl I have the question about. She has a really bloated looking belly. It almost feels like she has a belly fully of air. I am gonna give her a wormer, and gonna pick up some baking soda, and vaccines for them. Any ideas about why shes so fat? Can babies get bloat? Ive never had a goat with it before. She is active and playful doesnt seem sick in any other way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Congrats on your new girls.

They look like boer crosses to me - especiall the black and white one.

the other two might have nubian or alpine in it......

But they sure are darn cute!!!!

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Look like Nubian, boer cross and who knows what else, I just love the wattles, they sure are cuties!!

I would offer them all baking soda free choice and see if they eat it, if her belly isn't bothering her and she is acting fine and her rumen sounds like it is working ok, I wouldn't worry about it to much.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Could she be pregnant? How big are they? Kinder maybe?

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    definitely boer cross, either boer x spanish or predominantly boer with a touch of anything dairy in it. we have a lot that look like these in the boer cross herd at work.

the doe with the frosted ears has a touch of nubian in her, we have a little family at work with the frosted ears, never seen frosted ears from anything that didnt have a touch of nuby in it.

as for the belly ... I'd say she's been doing it tough all her life - either mum didnt have much milk, or she was bottle raised but not very well, or she was weaned onto a very low protein and energy diet ... which all leads to a pot-belly look. Lots of people here call it the poddy belly look, because people who cant raise poddies properly end up with those awful looking pot bellies. Get her on a very good diet and she will eventually grow out of it, but it will take quite a while, maybe up to a year. She also has the pinched look to her face which I associate with the pot belly look.

6. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I thought they looked boer as well. But I dont breed boers so I wasnt sure. I just loved the color. I have a boer/la mancha I think they will breed well with someday.

The price of them I thought maybe I was wrong about the boer. They are also quite tall, I thought maybe they had a touch of Nubian. Least something very leggy.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh my, I so see how you fell in love with them, they are just so cute.

As for the bloat, YES they can bloat young, and if they are eating grass or hay which I am sure they are that could make them bloat. I would get some baking soda show that white one. Make little balls of baking soda and water and shove them down her mouth. I would also rub the side a lot to try to get rid of some of that bloat. Just the stress of what they have gone through can make them bloat. I would also give them all CDT, I would even give them two shots. One asap and the other one a month later.

I would also keep that baking soda out free choice for them. Congratulations they are just so cute.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    possibly wormy - I would worm with Ivermectin and then again in 7-10 days. This will stop the cycle of the worms.

I would treat also for cocci with corid albon, sulmet or that D med that i never can remember the name

Start them off slow with grain and provide some electroyte water and some clear water.

look to be nubian crosses to me - boers tend to have smaller ears :shrug:

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    They are adorable! The last one is definitely a Nubian Boer cross. Not so sure about the other two. :scratch:

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    stacey, I will have to get some pics for you of some of the FB boer does at work ... longer ears than a nubian!

these ears are pretty much normal for a boer ... cept the spots on the last one are def nubian heritage