New Babies!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mandoziz, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    I'm so happy to report that my nubian doe had two kids a week ago today, a buckling and a doeling. They are just adorable and it was a smooth easy birth.

The major confusing issue I've encountered is every book I've read said to leave the doe alone with the kids for at least two weeks before milking her. That would have been BAD for my doe. On day five after the birth her bag looked like it was about to explode. The babies were nursing but just not enough to keep up with her production. I built a milking stand that night and milked her, getting a gallon and a half out of her (she still had more to give too). :shocked: I can't imagine letting her go two weeks, it would have been BAD.
    So take information you get and store it away but listen to your animals, use your instincts. My doe must be a heavy producer and should have been milked from day 1. Lesson learned!

http://www.misterwesley.blogspot.com/

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats.... on your new additions.... :thumb:

It was smart of you .....to milk her.... :thumb:

..when babies are just born.... they can't keep up with the demand of milk supplied....so... we have to help the Doe out or ...have the threat... of her getting mastitis...you did the right thing....I find with alot of books... the info is wrong.... so that is why we are here ....on TGS to help others.... we had to learn... on our own ...with trial and error.... we all put our knowledge together and walla....we have a remedy..... that more than likely ... will work for someone.... :wink: :thumb:

3. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    OMG! Those babies are way too cute!

4. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Thank you! I sure think they are pretty cute too. Does any one have any idea what that coloring is called? Fawn?

5. nagismom

nagismom New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    northern ohio
    I would call them brown with black trim. They are soooo cute.

6. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    They are sooo cute! Hey are they oberhasli crosses or all nubian?

7. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You did great, I like your blog.

Jan

8. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Jan's right! Your blog is cool! I want one.

9. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Congrats on the babies-they are super cute-and I LOVE your blog-I have the same resolution, to cook more interesting/more variety. To boot-I LOVE key lime pie, and your recipe looks TOO easy for me not to try. So-as soon as I get the limes, I'm on it-SUPER YUM! My favorite dessert...

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.... :thumb: :wink:

11. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Well gosh, thanks! I've been blogging for nearly four years now and it's really become a fun way to document our lives and our children (and kids) lives. If you don't have a blog you might think about starting one....it's free.
    Thanks again you all, you guys are sweet.