new baby coming home soon

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jduwall, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I have waited a very long time to get a baby again..(lost my last one)...BUT this time I want it to be perfect. so,,I need your help. What should I have on stock to be prepared? :whatgoat:

I have nutri-drench, corrid, what else do I need for the just in case...

oh I will have a heat lamp on blue (3 months old), and a sweater just in case.

I will upload pictures (pics) as soon as I get them home.... :cool: :leap:

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    How cold is it where you are? Unless the temps are an extreme difference from what he is used to I wouldn't blanket a 3 month old....unless it is sick.

I would make sure to have an ivermectin based wormer available just in case he needs worming...otherwise sounds like you have everything covered. :)

Can't wait to see pics of your new guy!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Thermometer.......

syringes...needles

Maybe antibiotics...what ever you want to use... in case of pneumonia.....

Pen G

Nuflor

Banamine

maybe Something for lice....

4. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    thanks for the feedback, but.......what is nuflor, pen g (antibiotics), and banamine?? never heard of them

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nuflor and Pen G are antibiotics...Banamine is only available thru a vet around here..it is an anti inflamatory.

6. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    well you learn something new everyday....thanks Liz

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Banamine is also used for getting down high fever ...... boosts appetite.... quickly...as well..... :wink:

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Banamine is a wonderdrug IMO! It's used in just about all livestock as far as I know. The horse farms around here stock up with the big bottles of it! My husband got some from his old boss, but thankfully we've only used it a couple of times, and when we did it worked quickly.
    When i worked with horses, we used it during a contageous outbreak that caused high fevers <it was bad :( >, and I honestly believe the banamine saved many lives, because the fevers were soooooooo high..... but it worked to bring them back down so the fever didn't do any permanent damage.
    I'd assume it works the same way with goats, and other critters :)

Pen G can be bought at your feed store/supply store. I can't remember the cost, maybe $10-15?

I don't know anything about Nuflor...new one for me.

I'd make sure your kiddo has their cd/t if not I would make sure they get it. That's the only vaccination I know of that goats definitely should have. I think the dosage off the top of my mind is 2cc for any age/size, then around 3 weeks later you give a 2nd injection, and then it's once a year after that. Cd/T is around $5-7 for I believe 10 doses.
    We also have ivermectin wormer and safeguard wormer, I'd think as long as you have a good wormer you should be good to go.

Good Luck, and I can't wait to see pics of your new family member!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Nuflor ...I get from our vet........... to me.........it is a miracle drug... for all kinds of illnesses.. I use it when... my goats get pneumonia....It knocks it out real quick and you don't have to give the shot... everyday... like PenG or other antibiotics... you give them a shot....... skip a day....... give them one more ......unless they where really down when you found them....then give the 3rd....this drug is given EOD...... the 1st day along with Nuflor... I use Banamine... another miracle drug.... if they aren't eating and I want to get that temp down quickly.....they get that.... usually one time unless ...they need it for another day...do not give more than every 36 hours unless a vet says to do so.. :wink: :thumb: