The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pygmy babies are only 2 days old both have been acting normal and healthy until today. One is just acting a little off. It's not very obvious but I noticed the difference. When I go into the pen the other jumps right up while the off one just lays there. When I pick it up and stand it up it acts ok just not quite right. But walks over and nurses. So I've been checking every hour or so the last time I checked a few mins ago when I picked it up there was a puddle of drool where it's head was laying and around her mouth was very wet. Is this a sign of something I should be worried about?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I would get her temp...sometimes with fever they can get drooly along her acting a bit off ...get a temp and lets go from there...101.5-103.5 is normal range

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Temp is 104.3 And another little puddle of drool. I checked to make sure it wasn't a runny nose. It's definitely coming out of her mouth. When I pulled thermometer out it had a tiny amount of blood on it. I don't know if this could have anything to do with anything but when she was born she came out back legs first and the cord broke off at her belly . There was no cord hanging at all but she didn't bleed or anything so I didn't think anything of it and put iodine on it as usual.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was such a small amount on the thermometer that I wasn't completely sure that's what it was so I took a q tip an stuck it In a tiny bit and its covered in blood. I doesnt look good for the little baby. Any idea what's wrong? :(

image-3833969072.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Boy, it is hard to say. Could she have been stepped on? Are you sure she was nursing ok?

She is definitely sick. Sounds like she may need to be physically seen by a vet or someone goat knowledgeable to get a better diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boy, it is hard to say. Could she have been stepped on? Are you sure she was nursing ok?

She is definitely sick. Sounds like she may need to be physically seen by a vet or someone goat knowledgeable to get a better diagnosis.
I guess it's possible that she got stepped on by mom. I have them in a pen by them self just mom and the 2 babies. Yes she went straight to nursing as soon as she was born. And very time I get her up she has been nursing. Belly feels full when I check. I haven't actually seen her poop but I have seen poop yellor colored and normal consistency for a new born on her leg and foot so I assumed it is hers and that everything was ok. I haven't seen any blood on the outside of her butt or anything to cause concern until I checked her temp.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
The thermometer could have done that.

Her temp is high. Do you have Banamine? I would weigh her and give her a shot. You need a 1cc syringe since it will be such a small amount.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The blood on the thermometer was dark red like old blood. Her stomached is contracting in and out like a heart beat and she is hunching her back. Wouldn't nurse.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is kind of acting like a kid last year with phnumonia and breathing really fast and hard. I have some tylan but that's all . Could I give her some of that

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
I think there is a good possibility that she got stepped on. Maybe she is bleeding internally.

Without physically seeing her, I am not sure what more to do for her.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
I haven't used Tylan before so I don't know.

Do you have a stethoscope? If you could try listening to her lungs and heart.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No but I put her little chest up to my ear and her breathing is very raspy and aside from the drooling her nose is now running also. She kind of acted like she was having a seizure or something a few mins ago but now just breathing hard again and hunched. I took her temp its now 103.9 . I've tried calling the vet 5 or 6 times but no answer. Vets office # usually is forwarded to whichever vet is on duty. This is so frustrating and heart breaking not to be able to get her help.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Does it sound like thump thump or can you hear a swish in between thumps?

It sounds like her lungs are filling with fluid.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think she is gonna make it. She is going down hill very fast.. I'm just gonna sit with her and keep trying to call the vet .

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
That is a good idea. Hold her so she is in a sitting position.

I am so sorry.

At this point anything is worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts