New Baby Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by turtlebutte goats, Apr 17, 2010.

1. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Yah! Our 2nd goat had her baby this morning! She had her outside in the pen under a tree. It was about 25 degrees here, but momma had cleaned most of her off when we found her. We moved both of them to a stall in the barn, gave momma some corn and wiped the little one off since she was shaking. They are in a warm stall now. Momma is a pygmy and the father is a full fainter. Momma has a full udder, and I made sure I could get milk out of her. The baby is really loud compared to our last one and follows momma around trying to nurse. My question is, momma seems scared and doesnt really know what to do. Momma will stand and let the little one get close, but it appears she hasnt nursed yet. Momma keeps licking her off though, so I know they are bonding. How long should it take for the little one to nurse before I should get conerned?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Baby needs to have colostrum within the first hour of birth, stay with them and hold mom til you see that baby nursing.

Also, give mom some warm water, add molasses to it if you have it..it does help with adding some energy and please, if you have a grain mix give it to her...straight corn does not have all the nutrition she needs.

3. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Both momma and baby are doing just fine now. I think they both just had to "figure it out" How much longer should I wait to put them back with the other momma and baby as well as the momma who hasnt kidded yet? With the last one I waited for about 5 days, is that too long?

Thanks for the help!
    Brian

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad they are catching on... :wink: 5 days isn't to long... if they need more time then that ...give it to them...I go 3 days ....unless the babies are weak ...not catching on or mom hasn't bonded.....

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My moms and babies are penned separate til the weather is decent enough to allow the kids to play without getting wet and chilled, They are with the herd thru the day and penned separate at night , Actually, my moms and babies are penned at night til weaning as it's easier for me to milk and feed separate as opposed to a mad rush of goats at once...and I know my babies are safe with moms.

6. I agree with Liz you need something more then corn and the warm water etc will help.

I normally wait 7 days on a new dam. A doe that has done it over and over not so much but with it being cold out you may want to let it be for a bit before turning them out.

7. Oh, and congrats on the kidding!!